hi. i'm a newb.

1. LScully02
    LScully02
    hello
    I'm brand-spanking new to playing a mandolin, or any stringed instrument. I guess we all kinda are, otherwise we wouldn't be in the 'newbie' group, eh?

Any tips for what I should concentrate on learning?? Right now I'm trying to learn chords (oh man...) and am a tad overwhelmed to be honest... I did buy a book and have found some helpful websites for chords on the mandolin, but didn't realize there were so many options for one chord!!

Anything else other then chords that I should be concentrating on? Perhaps, maybe how I can stretch my fingers?!?!?

Thanks for any (and all) advice or tips you can give me
  2. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Hi:

Welcome! I've been playing since March, and have found the Cafe to be a great resource. Here are some things that have helped me:

* Starting off by learning the basic two finger chords is a very good idea. Also, be sure to look through all of the lesson pages here on the Cafe

* BTW, regarding chords, here is the best mandolin chord chart I have found.

* You're right about all of the different chord voicings (ways to make the chords). As you learn more chord forms you will find that some fit together very well (making it easy to go from one to another). Hence, it's good to know many different ways to make each chord. A really nice resource for helping to understand how this works can be found here. (Note, although this page was originally designed for fiddle players, it works for mandolin thanks to the similar tuning).

* If you find it easy/effective to learn new things from a book, a really well written book for beginners is Greg Horne's Beginning Mandolin.

* Finally, I have found that there is no substitute for having a good mandolin instructor. Even if you only go a few times to get the basics I'd say it's well worth the time and money.

Again, welcome and keep us posted. What type of mandolin do you have?

-Ed
  3. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Best advise i could give you is to join the Song-A-Week social group here at the Cafe. every week we vote on a new tune to learn and post a video of ourselves. all genre's are fair game, from OT , ITM, Fiddle tunes, bluegrass, even swing. you will learn a lot and the group is the most supportive on the Internet, IMHO. good friends and great fun.
  4. LScully02
    LScully02
    Thanks Fast Eddie!!! That chord chart makes my eyes dizzy haha!
    I bought a cheap, er inexpensive, mandolin off Amazon, it says 'Rogue' on it? A style. That's about all I know...
    I do want to take lessons, and you're right about even if I just do a few.
    Thanks for the link to the lessons also, I had yet to see that!

Mculliton123- Song-A-Week you say?? I could join and play along, but I do not have a camcorder or a way to make a video. Not sur eif that's required or not Thanks so much!!!
  5. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    LS, nothing is required except to have fun. I didn't have a web-cam when i joined, either, but i soon got a cheap one just to post.
    it's very casual and you can choose from Standard Notation, TAB's, or ABC's, which will all be posted. But wait, there's more!!
    you aren't limited to just the song of the week, heck, anybody can post any tune they want and most folks will give it a go, too.
    You'll see Scotish Fiddle tunes played, maybe, bluegrass style, anything goes and all join in the fun.
    I've only been playing mandolin since November and this group has really expanded my musical horizon and pushed my comfort zone.
    Hope to see you there sometime.

michael
  6. LScully02
    LScully02
    sorry, I forgot my login for awhile :/
    Thanks so much Michael! I am looking at the group now and am looking at the week 67 videos, WOW! I'm not sure what the ABCs version is, but will find out soon I suppose.

Thanks for letting me know that I do not have to record myself. I think I would go thru too many battery charges since I'd have to re-shoot everytime I mess up, which would be a lot, lol.

Lindsey
  7. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Lindsey, you'll find that some tunes are much harder than others, especialy for a beginner. I browsed the files to find simpler tunes in the easier keys, like G and D, to start learning. Just take your time and enjoy.
    ABCs are a way to exchange music files. there are many free programs that will convert ABCs to either Standard Notation, if you can read music, or TABs, which will graphicaly show you where to fret which string.
    You'll also find that even the old-timers often have to make a lot of vids to get one that they are happy with. do not feel pressured at all, just have fun.
  8. Garden Music
    Garden Music
    Welcome to the Cafe, Lindsey!
    Here are two lesson sites that I found helpful.

This one is lessons by Pete Martin, and there are five or so, all of them excellent. The last one is exercises for stretching the pinky.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FudsS...eature=related

This one is a series by Brad Laird, many of them free, and they are great, too.
    http://www.freeguitarvideos.com/mandolin/catalog.html

Karen
  9. LScully02
    LScully02
    thanks everyone :D
  10. lazydog
    lazydog
    Hey Thanx Ed, for posting a link to those chords... it really is comprehensive and accessible.
    Bought my first mando 2 yrs ago but just started playing a little more seriously this summer and now I think it's time to start nailing down bar chords.

leon
    Ps Hi Lindsey
  11. KarlAugustus
    KarlAugustus
    Wow, Ed, thanks for that chord chart. I haven't found anything that comprehensive!