Instrument Recommendations

1. Bragi
    Bragi
    Can anyone recommend an OM, in the $1500-2000 range, that has rich, warm tone on all strings; plays in tune even on the upper frets; does not buzz; and is well suited to a variety of genres?

I currently own a Trinity College OM and have enjoyed it as a starter instrument. But now I want something of slightly higher quality.

Bragi
  2. swain
    swain
    Peterson.
  3. Mandobart
    Mandobart
    My F4 style OM by Tom Jessen of Madelia, MN. Here are a couple of clips:

4. sloanypal
    sloanypal
    Thanks for the clips! I fell in love with that very same OM last year at Rock Bend in St. Peter. I ended up getting a Peterson Koa and love it, but that Jessen played like butter. Love his handmade case too!
  5. sloanypal
    sloanypal
    Back to Bragi's question, you could also take a look at Richard Beard's OMs...they're on the high end of your range, but tempting.

http://www.vintagemandolin.com/09bea...emando_32.html
  6. Seattle Tim
    Seattle Tim
    I'm in line to get one of Joe Mendel's octave mandos, most of which are near the higher end of your price range (he's placed a few in retail music shops that, due to their markup, are a bit above your range), but which you might want to check out. I've heard clips of a few he's made, but as of yet have not actually played one. The one he's making for me should be done next month, so I can provide an update once I get a chance to see what it can do. However, I've been in continual contact with Joe, who is very responsive and a nice guy, and I have no doubt it's going to be a great instrument.

Joe's website is here: http://jmendelfrets.com/Default.aspx
  7. Amandalyn
    Amandalyn
    Mandobart,
    What's the scale length on that F4 style OM ? Looks short. The Jessen website is not working. Also can you please tell us the Name of the tunes you are playing in the videos? Thanks
  8. Mandobart
    Mandobart
    Amandalyn - The Jessen OM measures 20 -1/2" from bridge to 0 fret. That is shorter, I believe, then the TC and other Celtic styles. I just now clicked the link to TJ's website and it worked. The first song is "And We Bid You Goodnight", a Bahamanian folk song/spiritual, immortalized by the Grateful Dead (often used to close a show). The second one is "Arthur McBride", an Irish tune about a pushy recruiter. Here I play it in G, but nowadays I play it in D. There are about 7 verses to it.