Strumming Chords

1. Raganlarry
    Raganlarry
    Please tell me that i am not the only one having a problem with this, lol. Been playing for about 2 years now, and focused on picking rather than strumming at the start. Think my picking is solid, so now to work on chords. Problem i am having is that the pick is held at a natural upward angle, which causes no problems on a downward strum, but if i need to continue with an upward, am catching all sorts of issue, i.e. catching on strings, not giving an even strum etc. Know that i am just probably over thinking things, and it is translating to my hand, lol. Any advice on how to work up and even strumming technique?
  2. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    I think that if you curl your hand at the wrist just a little bit (moving the back of the hand closer to the forearm) that will level off the pic and likely fix the problem. Also, you probably need only a subtle change to make a difference. Finally, as someone posted in the Theory/Technique forum, I'd recommend playing with a strap attached to the mandolin all of the time (even when sitting).
  3. shortsighted_stevie_b
    shortsighted_stevie_b
    What Ed wrote ist the point: If the Mando is fixed with the strap - even when sitting - the right hand and forearm are free to pick and strum and there is no need anymore to "press" the instrument to your body. What I did the first 2 weeks...:-))
  4. Ladyfingerpicker
    Ladyfingerpicker
    Yes, but what can a big-bosomed woman like me do to keep the mando steady and at the proper angle? I do use a strap, but I can't keep the instrument as still as one should when it's where it should be (at mid-chest or lower with the back of the mando parallel to the spine) and, if I try, the instrument is so far in front of my breastbone/ribcage that I have trouble wrapping my right arm around to the front of it to strum it. Instead, I tend to use a short strap and rest the mando on my upper chest, but it's at a 30-degree to 45-degree angle to my spine. Any advice on strumming within this chiropractic nightmare?