new again

1. AndyB
    AndyB
    this is my second try at the mandolin and it is going much better this time. Picked up a mastercraft from the mandolinhut 2 weeks or so ago.
    What tunes are the rest of you guys and gals working on? As a beginner I like to learn Christmas carols, easy to recognize and good confidence builders. I've found the trouble with the fiddle tunes is I don't know what they are supposed to sound like and that makes it harder to learn for me. I'm using the 'Net this time around too. The first time I tried to learn it was the "before time" lol so that is helping. Just trying to learn a few songs and play them well for now.

looking forward to learning and growing as a player

AndyB
  2. tsakshaug
    tsakshaug
    Also being new, I had some problems knowing what things should sound like. I got this book from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Parking-Lot-Pi...5853135&sr=1-4
    Which is some simple common tunes. I use it when I want to try something I know and is fairly easy to pick up.
  3. QCS
    QCS
    Hi Andy-
    Concerning your comment on not being familiar with fiddle tunes. Do not forget Youtube for resources. I use it quite often to look for new material. Not only is everything there, you often have dozens of choices, fast, slow, ect. It's kind of hard to stump Youtube. Also, look into a software called "The Amazing Slowdowner". This could be a very valuable tool for you. It allows you to slow down your material without changing pitch. Very cool! Good Luck on your journey. QCS
  4. Garden Music
    Garden Music
    Hello,
    Some of us are working on an arrangement of Greensleeves as our first Newbie "tune in common." Take a look at that thread which will also lead you to Ed Goist's link to a nice tab that you can print out. Welcome to the Cafe and to the Newbies!

Karen