Post your videos!

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Stemming from a discussion on the regular message boards, I started a social group called "The Song-A-Week Social Group". It's purpose is for members to learn (if necessary) and record and submit a video of the tune of the week. You can also submit videos of yourself doing other tunes, as well, in a seperate discussion. We've just started the group, so who knows how it'll all pan out.

Anyway, that got me to thinking that it would be great if those of you who can, will video yourself playing your tenor, as many different times as you like, submit them to YouTube & then imbed here.
  2. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here's one I recorded for the Polka Challenge on the CBOM message board. Just had learned these tunes, so it's full of stumbles! The tunes are Dennis Murphy's Polka, 42 Pound Cheque, John Ryan's Polka

Barb
  3. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here's one I just recorded on my no name tenor banjo. Road to Lisdoonvarna, which is the tune of the week on the Song-A-Week Social Group.

4. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    Nice, that is a good song -- I play it on the mandolin but it seems perfect for the lower register. I am not quite ready to post my first video on the tenor banjo yet but I'm getting close.

One thing I was wondering -- I notice on this video you are on the lower edge of your armrest --or maybe it extends all with way to the tailpiece?

But I was wondering if you are resting the heel of your right hand lightly on the bridge? I tend to do that after a few minutes of playing.

But the worst thingt is I keep finding my arm slipping back on the rest until I am picking the string right above the bridge -- I expect that this is related to the fact that I find keeping an arch with my right wrist over the head to be awkward.

Finally do you use a thin, flexible pick for the tenor banjo -- compared to the mandolin?
  5. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    I'll jump in here about the picks - most folks I know use light picks to play the tenor banjo - I use either the Clayton .50mm ones (in red or black) or the light gray Jim Dunlop .60mm nylon ones. I have heard of some folks who use heavy picks on their tenors but I'm not one of them! Two of the best tenor banjoists in Ireland, Angelina Carberry, and Enda Scahill, both use the .50mm Claytons.
  6. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    "Two of the best tenor banjoists in Ireland, Angelina Carberry, and Enda Scahill, both use the .50mm Claytons."

Thanks for the comment. Interesting, as I have tentatively concluded that I am having better luck with some 0.6 and 0.7 mm picks of various kinds from my box of odds and ends picks collected over the ages. I'll check out the Claytons. I use a Wegen T-140 on the mandolin.
  7. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Bernie... about the armrest configuration, I'm not sure! I'm in Texas, and that banjo is in Iowa. Also, I'm not sure about whether I'm resting my hand in any way on the bridge... I do know that I pick a couple of inches above the bridge, and that I use a thin pick, as Jill describes. I do have my Slingerland Maybell banjo here with me, and my daughter has gotten home from her trip, so my grandmotherly babysitting duties are somewhat relieved, so I'll try to get my TB out and play a little and see!
  8. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Alright, finally got around to breaking out my TB... this is my Slingerland, and you can see (I think) the armrest... it stops about 1 1/4" short of the tailpiece....

9. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    Barbara -- Nice picking and the banjo is very full sounding.

Your arm and hand seem very comfortable on it. Also I notice you hold your pick kind of in the style like Monroe used on the mandolin -- I use a similar grip.

However notice how all those Irish players from Clareen Banjo Store (posted by Shaskeenreel) on YouTube hold the pick out between the end of the index finger and thumb. Interesting.
  10. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here I am trying out some triplets on Swallowtail Jig

11. llamela
    llamela
    Here is my contribution.

12. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Great stuff there - that was the business!

Is that a stuffed koala watching you in the background, lurking over by the bicycle?
  13. llamela
    llamela
    well spotted
  14. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    llamela... that was great! I've got that tune on one of my cd's... I really like it! I'll have to try it on my TB.. are you employing the foot tapping percussion technique?
  15. llamela
    llamela
    the foot is irrepresible.
  16. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    That's better than it being irresponsible! Sounded great... I asked because Jill had posted a video on the Song A Week Social Group, where she was loudly tapping her foot on her banjo case, and I liked it!
  17. Dobe
    Dobe
    I gotta get that one down ! Nice job
  18. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Just picked up this plectrum for myself for father's day. Here's my first attempt on it.

19. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Been on just now having a catch-up, Barbara, and notice that none of the video clips appears in the postings. Is this my browser or an issue with this group? The ones on the Song-A-Week group are showing up fine.
    Addendum - Must have been a temporary glitch in my system; went back on and the videos are now there in all their glory. Sorry to raise scare, folks.
  20. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Here is the YouTube offering of "High Road to Linton" and "Mrs McLeod of Raasay" played on my Vega tenor which I have recently refretted and refurbished; I have included my mandolin in this pair of tunes too. This video is already posted over on the Song-A-Week group, but may be more relevant in this group.