BBW needs advice on how to hold a BBM

1. Ladyfingerpicker
    Ladyfingerpicker
    To clarify the title of this thread, I am a Big-Busted Woman, and I've never been able to figure out how to hold my Bowl Back Mandolin. I'm serious; this is a real problem for me! You flat-chested folks don't know how lucky you are.

Anyone have any advice for this anatomically challenged player?
  2. Margriet
    Margriet
    Hi....name?

I am not a thin woman as well. My teacher taught me to put my right foot on a stand. After having lost some weight, I am able to put my right leg over my left. I know there are also people who lift up their left leg. If you like, I can send you a photo of myself, while playing.
    Good luck,
    Margriet
  3. michaelpthompson
    michaelpthompson
    Hi Ladyfingerpicker.

I'm new to both the mandolin and the bowlback. Just joined this group. I see nobody has fully answered your question (other than Margriet's suggestion), and I'm not qualified to do it, as my area of accommodation lies a bit lower. However, there has been a recent thread on the forum regarding that affliction, called Big Bellies and Little Mandolins. Some of the advice there may help you, or some may not, but I thought I'd pass it on, just in case.

BTW, you may have noticed Margriet's difficulty in addressing you. I noticed that even on your member profile, there is no actual name. I know people like to preserve their anonymity on the internet, but at least a first name would be helpful in such situations. Some people add it to their profile, others just sign it at the end of their messages. Just a suggestion.

Wishing you luck with your "problem" (overabundant blessing?),

Michael
    BBM wondering why more BBW's don't offer to hold him.
  4. JEStanek
    JEStanek
    As a man, I'm also limited in my advice to offer. However, I will suggest you use a piece of chamois cloth in your lap to help keep the instrument more locked in place, along with Margriet's leg advice. Many music stores sell the adjustable foot rests or you could use your case. You could also consider wearing a sports bra which provides a bit of compression vs a standard one.

Jamie