Welcome.

1. Eatn28
    Eatn28
    Welcome to our group. Feel free to post anything you would like. Have a good time. Enjoy!
  2. Gwernen
    Gwernen
    Zep still rules my life. Jim Richter playing The Rain Song on octave brought tears to my eyes. Years of guitar therapy haven't done as much for me as one listen to Zep on mando. I may be in BIG trouble.

peace to all
  3. Gab
    Gab
    The Battle of Evermore is good
  4. Gwernen
    Gwernen
    Ever seen Battle tabbed for mando by anyone? That would of course be like a master course for me, but I like to have goals.

Anyone see Page playing mando at the end of It Might Get Loud? A movie about guitars wrapped up with a mando, perfect touch if you ask me.
  5. Eatn28
    Eatn28
    For Battle of Evermore just go to the rock tabs on this website.
  6. Gwernen
    Gwernen
    Nope, not there. Sad. Well it will be awhile before I'm up to that speed anyway. wink
  7. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Here is the Cafe tab for The Battle of Evermore.
    I've been a huge Zeppelin fan for decades...It's remarkable how well the music still holds up today.
    The first four Zeppelin albums are basically the primer for hard rock, AND for the incorporation of traditional music into rock.
    Led Zeppelin III remains one of the Top Ten Albums of all-time.
    Page & Jones rule!
  8. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Oh, and for just fooling around with the song, you can get away with playing the opening riff repeatedly.
    (Plant the pinky of the D string 7th fret and the index on the A string 3rd fret):

E|----0-0-----0-0-|
    A|--3-------3-----|
    D|7-------7-------|
    G|----------------|

and after playing the riff several times, move up to this part (which I play slightly differently than the tab, as shown here):

This part sounds more like this to me...all Up/Down strumming, and the 's' indicates a slide of the middle finger up from the 3rd to the 2nd fret. Play several times and go back to the opening riff.

E|0-0-0-----0-0-0-0|
    A|3-3-3--s--2-2-2-2|
    D|2-2-2-----0-0-0-2|
    G|------------------|

This is a fun and easy way to start working on the song.
  9. Gwernen
    Gwernen
    Ah, thank you, there's a start. I'll start working on that. When you mention the traditional melodies incorporated into Zep music, yes, Brit folk music is very intriguing stuff. I have some friends in Britain who do Brit folk for a living, not the reels and jigs but the rock oriented stuff. Love it.

Younger folk scoff when you mention Zep as classic, original heavy metal. Heavy metal has lost its original definition I believe. If you can take a blues song, electrify, amplify and still give it depth and heavy emotion, well there you go.

Seems like Going to California would be good on octave mando. Suddenly I'm finding myself exploring the possibilities.

(You can skip this is you want, laugh, but I've had this revelation and I feel the need to therapize. I've played piano, flute, drums, guitar - piano started at age six, still doing the guitar and piano and I'm edging toward 50. I went back to college two years ago, and for humanities credits took two years of classical guitar, which included a lot of Spanish and even a bit of the bluegrass, the professor's proclivity, certainly not mine. What I hear when I listen to music, preference:blues/rock, is the lead voice of the guitar, the melody or the solo voice. That is what I hear, and its what I play on guitar. I don't think in rhythm chording, don't hear it. I appreciate it, but maybe it was the influence of piano, vinyl on stereo, flute, whatever, the lead voice is just programmed into my head. It also tends to replace my lack of a singing voice. But you know, there's always been just that tiny 'something' lacking, darned if I could find it, whatever it was. Then this summer for some reason I was messing around with my Les Paul and staring off into the blue and my eyes landed on my mandolin. Hum......)

I swear its been a revelation!

Laughing,
    Gwernen