Mandolin Repair and set up nyc,queens, Long Island and surounding

1. dcdan
    dcdan
    Hi all, we haven't been a particularly active group of late here is a topic which could get some discussion. Of course I am being absolutely self serving. However I need a good set up and repair person. I submit for further discussion my reasons ,and maybe I could get even more Help.
    I got a Gibson oval hole F-style Jam master about a month ago. I absolutely love the tone. However it does not seem to project on the e and a strings. The highs seem especially week when I am Jamming with others.
    I think I am the first one to really play this mando and I hope it will "open up" but I think it could do with a good set up.
    So aside from luthiers i am looking for things that I can do myself to help bring out the highs. What I have done so far is put on some heavier strings(exp 75's) and am trying every possible rigid pointy and heavy pick.
    thanks in advance and I think this could actually stimulate some discussion here (also helped by the apparent non stop snow which has been slowing my business to a crawl......lots of time to practice
  2. Elliot Luber
    Elliot Luber
    Sorry, I didn't see this sooner. I was out of town. There's a guy in Brooklyn named Bob "Dr. Frets" Jones who is said to be amazing at fixing guitars and mandolins. He's done work for everyone from Andy Statman (and was in his band for a while) to Joe Perry. Don't know his number but he's been written up online a few times and in the Daily News.