Mandolin fretboard diagram needed

1. Wayne Bagley
    Wayne Bagley
    Hi everyone

I am new to the site and this is my first posting to this group.
    I am a Newbie as I have been playing for less than two weeks.

I am looking for a printable diagram of the mandolin WITH the accompanying notes on the staff so you can match up the positions when needed.

I have seen many such diagrams done for the guitar but none for the mandolin.

Please let me know if you are able to help.
  2. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    I can't help you there, but I saw that you got some good links in the main forums. Welcome to the Newbies club nevertheless! This is the best place to share beginner experiences and establish social support networks for the newbie. For information, the main board is obviously superior because more (and more experienced) players read there.
  3. Wayne Bagley
    Wayne Bagley
    thank you
    I'm always interested in all the resources I can lay my hands on.
  4. Peter Skerratt
    Peter Skerratt
    You may find a "fiddlewidget" useful to help learn your way around the frets: http://elderly.com/books/items/668-4.htm
  5. Garden Music
    Garden Music
    Hello and welcome to the Cafe! As a piano player, I also think in terms of the musical staff, and I am always happy when a tune includes both tab and notation, as that helps me in my journey to connect the fretboard to the staff. If you look at the G string on the mandolin, at the 5th fret it corresponds to middle C on the staff. On the D string, the 5th fret is G above middle C. On the A string, the 5th fret is D above high C. On the E string, the 5th fret is A above the staff. These benchmarks can be helpful in visualizing where you are on the staff when you look at the fretboard.

Alternatively, if you want to think about the open strings, the G string is the G below middle C, the D string is the D just above middle C, the A string is the A above middle C, and the E string is the E above high C. Hope this helps!

Karen