The dreaded F chord

1. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Is it just me, or is the three-finger F chord really hard for beginning players? Twisting the wrist of my fretting hand by anything between 45 and 90 degrees, pressing down on the tricky first fret of the E string, trying to reach over and across with the second and third finger without accidentally muting other strings ... I get all this right about a quarter of the time if I'm lucky.

Obviously, the answer is to practise, practise and practise. But none of the other simple chords has taken me so long to master. Did you find the same thing when you started, and how did you get over it?
  2. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    OK, it's obviously just me.
  3. KyleBerry
    KyleBerry
    Sorry, I created this group and I basically forgot all about it. Which three finger F chord? Chop chord?
  4. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    It's OK, I'm trying to make this group a bit livelier again. A newbie forum depends on new cohorts of newbies populating it, right?

I mean the (ostensibly) simple F chord mentioned first in my instructional materials, no idea if it has a special name:
    first finger - 1st fret on the E string
    second finger - 3rd fret on the D string
    third finger - 5th fret on the G string
    ... if I've just recalled that correctly from memory.

For me as a beginner, this presents three challenges at the same time: the twisting of the wrist, the wide reach down the neck, and bridging over the other strings without accidentally muting them. A nightmare compared with the simple two-finger chords.

Coincidentally, I got some good training on this just yesterday. There were three of us (two guitars and one mandolin) taking turns with two people playing a rhythm using C, F and G chords, while the third played a simple melody in C. I'm sure it sounded awful from the outside, but it was good practice for us.
  5. un5trung
    un5trung
    <<A newbie forum depends on new cohorts of newbies populating it, right? >>

It shouldn't, IMHO. Elsewhere in this forum I've argued that the Newbies discussion should be moved to the Forum area to allow for the participation of seasoned mandolin players. Being integrated into the general population would allow the less experienced to benefit from the wisdom of veterans.
  6. KyleBerry
    KyleBerry
    Have you tried the two-finger F chord? The only F chords I play are the two finger and the 3 finger chop chord. I know how you are feeling, it took me a lot of work to get the four finger chop chords done. And yes it does hurt for a little while, but once you get it down and get it in your muscle memory, you will have no problem. Just practice and practice. It helps if you are playing with a song or playing with others so you can work on switching chords back and forth.

Yes this group needs to be brought to life, so we can all help each other out!

un5trung- Yes it would be nice if there was a newbie discussion so those more advance players could put in input. But you always have a chance to post anything you want up with in the general discussion, or theory sections.
  7. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Gelsenbury, I'm a big proponent of doing the easiest thing that works. Or maybe I'm just lazy. I use a two finger, three string F chord. Index at second fret on the G string (I always giggle a little bit when I say "G string." How immature am I?). Just lay it across there kind of like a bar, but you only have to be fretting the G string (giggle). Then lay your middle finger across the D and A strings at the third fret and use it to mute the E string. This is an easy chord form that works all over the fretboard. If you move it down to the D, A and E strings and play the G string (giggle) open, for instance, you have a C chord (or you can play the E string open as well and it's still a C chord). Then move your index off the D string only and you have your two-finger G chord across all strings. Makes chording in the key of C a piece of cake. Hope that helps.
  8. LarryMando
    LarryMando
    For the F chord - I just slide the 3 finger C chord shape up 5 frets. BTW, one way I practice these chords is to play along with a recording (or Band in the Box) slow enough so that I can sound the notes cleanly and can do it without having to look at the fretboard while playing.
  9. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Larry, absolutely that works. One reason the mando is so fun ~ there are so many moveable chord forms!
  10. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Thank you for the input, Martin! I like that shape. I'll try to use it next time I accompany someone, once I've internalised it.
  11. preston
    preston
    Gel, as a newbie myself, mando was the first stringed instrument I picked up around a year and a half ago. The 3 finger chord you mentioned seemed the easiest in theory yet it gave me a lot of trouble (buzzing, muting strings and the like). I recently was trying to learn paradise by John Prine ( C, f, g). It seems the 3 finger f just started working for me. I've noticed when I have trouble with a certain chord I can practice it just a little each time and then go back to playing what I know best. The Em, two finger D version of shady grove has helped me a lot. I start really slow with it and work up speed as I go. It has trained me to speed up progressions twist my wrist more. Subsequently, I have become proficient with the f chord. The ffcp (four finger closed position) exercises on this site also help with the stretching and pinky work.
    Pres file:///c:/Users/PresAndBonnie/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/Windows/Recent/mandosmiley.gif.lnk
  12. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    Yes, the F chord is a problem for me. Thanks for the tips, Preston!
  13. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Hi:
    I've been playing mandolin since mid-March (though I've picked-around on guitar for a few years before that), so I guess I qualify for the group.

YES - The open Fmaj (5-3-0-1) can be a nightmare...In a way it drove me to a new mandolin! When I was forming this chord on the narrow and flat fretboard of my Kentucky KM-172, it caused rather severe stress pain in the first knuckle of my fretting index finger. I still have some soreness there in the mornings. However, ever since I got my Breedlove Quartz OO, with its wider, low-profile neck and larger frets, the F chord (and just about everything else) is easier, and much more comfortable, to play!

Also, here's something my instructor showed me on this chord which really helped me...Position the fretting hand like a violin player would, so your index finger is pointing more toward the bottom of the mandolin than perpendicular to the fretboard. This will place the crux of your hand at or above the nut of the mandolin. Now form the chord. Your index finger will now have a more natural curve to it, as will the other two fretting fingers.

Also, as has been mentioned, in many instances you can use the 2-3-3-X voicing for Fmaj (particularly when coming from, or going to Cmaj). However, two things to remember about 2-3-3-X:
    * Be very careful to not hit the open E course. (That high e note kills the chord).
    * Since you're only playing three courses you will not get the same volume or dynamics from this voicing.

Speaking of chord voicings; here is my favorite chord voicings chart. Enjoy!
  14. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    I guess everyone has their personal bugbears ... I'm getting better at this chord and practising it in (mostly) C, F, G sequences, but progress is slow. Having said that, I mostly pick melodies, so chording is not a priority for me anyway. I feel reassured that I'm not alone and that I will eventually get there.
  15. Toby Bear
    Toby Bear
    Can't wait to try these out! The A chords drive me nuts. I try to get my pinky positioned on the E string. Sometimes, while accompanying a hymn, I have found it sufficient to play that one note and follow the rhythm with the entire chord. It works for now! TOBY BEAR
  16. Toby Bear
    Toby Bear
    Note to Goist: becareful about plucking that G string. You might be surprised by the sound you get!
    TOBY BEAR equally adolescent!
  17. Theo W.
    Theo W.
    I joined this group kind of just for the fun of it! I've played on and off for the last few years.. I find that once you get those fingers accustomed to mashing them against wire the F, G chop, D chop and the other assorted chords are pretty easy. Just gotta practice! And make sure your fingers are going straight down on the F, or you'll mute the A string.