My first session

1. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    (I'm posting this in the Newbies group and in the Celtic sub-forum, since it's relevant to both.)

I've just come back from the first Irish session to which I've ever brought my instrument! I'm sure my life has changed forever, but I don't know how. I should be asleep because of the early start I have tomorrow. I don't feel the buzz and enthusiasm that I sometimes get after playing nice music. But I do have a sense that something important has happened. It's a bit scary.

I had only ever read about Irish sessions on the Cafe or seen clips on YouTube until last week, when I cycled to a nearby village to see some very good musicians play some great traditional tunes. I got talking to them, and they seemed to appreciate my interest and attention. I was convinced that I couldn't play the tunes they did at the speed they did, but they nevertheless suggested for me to come along this evening and bring the mandolin.

It turns out that my judgement is much better than my musical prowess. I couldn't play a thing. It was an interesting and humbling experience.

Most of the tunes that were played were completely new to me. Some of them I'd heard before but couldn't play. A few were tunes for which I had the notation but hadn't learnt because they were too hard. I tried to figure out the odd chord or phrase, and the players encouraged me to keep going and try to play along and get a feel for the pulse and melody. But I couldn't even work out a way of noodling quietly enough not to disturb the music but loudly enough to hear if I had the note right. The only bit I actually played was when, towards the end of the evening, one of the players half-jokingly said that it was my turn to start a tune. I asked if they could play the one that sprang to mind, and we went around "Maggie in the Woods" three times ... slowly. I felt completely and utterly out of my depth.

On the positive side, I really enjoyed the music. The fact that I didn't properly contribute to it made no difference. The people are nice and very far from being the "ITM police" that one occasionally reads about here. I did have the guts to bring my mandolin, I did try to play, and I even got to start a tune. And I haven't died of embarrassment. I just experienced a very clear demonstration of my limits. I really am the poor player that I knew I was.

But how to move on from here? If I can't even hear myself play, I won't be able to figure out tunes from trying to play along, let alone at the speed the session is going. If I just go back to the woodshed and learn a few tunes, I'll lose touch with the session and may still end up with tunes that these musicians don't play. My ego can handle sessions at which I suck, but what would be best for the group and the best learning experience for me? For the moment, I'll follow Bertram's advice from another thread and try to get one or two tunes (literally) up to speed (although session speed appears unachievable for me at the moment). But is there any additional wisdom to be shared?
  2. Garden Music
    Garden Music
    Hey Dennis,

I say good for you for getting out there! I have only played WITH family members FOR family members plus with the local dulcimer group (but they only play in the key of D, and I just strum along with them, so it's not too tough).

I think that every experience of playing with others contributes to ones skills and confidence. We have to walk before we can run. I am wondering if you could obtain a list of their songs (and the keys they play them in) and perhaps find those songs somewhere on the web with at least the chords. That would allow you to strum along for now. If you are lucky, you might even find tab or notation. Perhaps one of the members would meet with you before or after to teach you a song. Many musicians are eager to share, and these folks sound as if they are giving and forgiving. When it is your turn to start a song, you can play at the speed you are able, and they will follow. I think you will see great fruits from the effort (and sometimes embarrassment) of playing with others. They were all beginners once, too!

Karen
  3. Theo W.
    Theo W.
    The first session is always a roughy.. But I think that once you start getting the tunes down, the session will just randomly come. I had this feeling once of just (I know it sounds corny) connecting with my instrument in a jam session with my guitar playing friend.
  4. cjprince
    cjprince
    I started playing with a local jam group about 8 months ago. When I started, I could only play 3 or 4 of the tunes they played. But I played those tunes, and wrote down the titles of some others that they played so I could learn them at home. I also brought a recorder & recorded the session so I could practice the new tunes in the right key and at the right tempo. I'm up to about 20 tunes now that I can play along with no problem, and I've also (sort of) developed a feel for some chords, so on the tunes I don't know, I can at least strum along a bit. Some members of our group also use sheet music, so that kind of helps - especially with the chords. I also got one of those things that you slip on to the back of your mandolin to keep it from resting against your body. For the life of me, I can't think of what it's called. Anyway - it helped with volume a lot. I can hear myself much better. It also helps if I don't sit next to a fiddler or an accordion player, since those instruments are so loud. I usually make a point to sit next to the other mando player if possible.