some concerns

1. JeffD
    JeffD
    An RM-1 is in my future. I haven't pulled the trigger on a purchase, I am almost there.

Two concerns, from what I read. One is too high an action. And the other is whether the instrument tecks at the places I go have the requisite skill / experience to correct for too high an action on a resonator instrument.

Am I blowing this out of proportion do you think?
  2. Yukon_Don
    Yukon_Don
    Well, mine came with an action that was higher than my liking, but not too high. I trust there are players out there much more skilled than I who would find the action satisfactory. As with any fretted instrument, provided there isn't a structural defect, adjusting the action is not a big deal. I'd speculate that in the life of all wood instruments at least once in its life the action will get adjusted. So don't let the action dissuade you from the instrument. It's an easy adjustment and one any owner should understand how to do.
  3. Ray(T)
    Ray(T)
    If you have concerns about action, I would get it sorted at the place you buy it from before you pay for it. Then, if they mess up, its their problem to sort it. Not that I agree that its a particular problem.

Sorting the action is a matter of adjusting the string height of the nut, which should be the same for any instrument with a nut, and sorting the height of the bridge. Admittedly, the bridge height won't be as straightforward as some - because of the biscuit arrangement needing the top plate to be removed first (I suspect that some have messed up by trying to do the job without). The only issue then is that if its lowered too much you can't take it back up again but I don't think a replacement biscuit would cost a significant amount. With mine, it was just a matter of adjusting the nut, I can live with the bridge height.

If you would like one, I'd go for it.
    Ray
  4. liestman
    liestman
    Mine came with the nut just fine but the bridge height higher than was comfy and fretting it up about the 10th fret caused tuning issues. DEFINITELY have the place you buy it from set it up for you. All the places I know that sell them have the skills to do this. Setting the action down to "the right height" fixed the tuning and made it super comfy to play, no affect that I could tell on volume or tone.
  5. JonZ
    JonZ
    Mine was rather high at both ends. Your only concern is finding someone experienced with resonator instruments.
  6. chasgrav
    chasgrav
    Mine came new from the factory, and I was told to expect to need a setup. That wasn't the case, though. Someone obviously took time to set it up before sending it out. I think any experienced shop can do it for you, and probably show you how.
  7. JeffD
    JeffD
    Well I was worried for naught. The thing came very well set up, nice low action. It plays like a dream, and knocks off the hats of passersby a block away.
  8. Shelagh Moore
    Shelagh Moore
    Mine came a little high for my taste at nut and bridge but I adjusted both to my liking without hassle or bother and, with D'Addario flatwounds (much cheaper than Thomastiks) it plays beautifully now.