Introduction....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Well done on the Yellowstone - that's going to be a very nice bump up the mandolin food chain for you there! I myself just pulled the trigger on a Weber Custom Vintage A - should be here next week I expect. This means that my Custom Gallatin F will be moving on to a friend of mine (who's been playing a Kentucky KM-172, so it'll be a nice bump up for her too!). It kind of breaks my heart to part with the Gallatin but we agreed that I get first refusal if my pal ever decides to sell it. I'd keep them both if I could!
  2. Gerard Dick
    Gerard Dick
    Hey Little Ed, I don't think you'll find that Yellowstone to be a burden, more like a quantum leap upwards from a MK. I've had my Y-stone for 2 years now and I'm still very much enamored with it.
  3. Tom Wright
    Tom Wright
    I felt the need for a personal instrument, not just the house brand at work. After a day playing an assortment of Gibson, Lebeda, Summit, Collings, and a Weber Aspen and Absaroka, I ended up with the Special Edition F5 style. Plain like a Gallatin, but with maple back/sides, and full scroll. Very woody sound, sweet top end. I'll post the pic.
  4. jeff francis
    jeff francis
    Hi my name is Jeff from Pinson Ala, I have played guitar since the age of 14 and now 50. all types of music .Got the mando bug from my daughter's boyfriend about 4 yrs ago and just about put the guitars down, since then have been playing with a blue grass band here at home. My 1st mando like so many here was a fender a style electric then I progressed to a Michael Kelly Legacy Plus that I had a fishman bridge pick up installed on ,but always dreamed of a Weber,now I'm proud owner of a SE from the mandolin store had a few upgrades gold tail pc and tuners and an internal pick up installed by Dennis and Zack at the mandolin store ... this instrument is just the finest I've ever owned and sounds like sunshine , what a pleasure to play and even more so to call mine.
  5. Lukas J
    Lukas J
    Howdy!

Four years ago, my mom wanted advice christmas shopping for my dad. "Would he rather have a fancy new welder or a mandolin?" after seeing my dad's face light up on christmas, I knew we made the right choice. He picked up the Epiphone mm-50, and I quickly learned a few chords on it over break. by the next summer i'd become seriously interested in mandolin, and was learning irish reels and transcribing uptmpo Ricky Skaggs tunes, set on playing fast. Seeing how much I liked it, my parents bought me an A-style epiphone last year. I've been playing the snot out of that mandolin for the past year, and it has served its purpose: I learned how to play a variety of styles, and saved a few hundred dollars in tips from my Bluegrass/Old-Time/Irish Folk band.

When I finished my Bachelor of English earlier this month, generous graduation gifts from family members expedited my saving up for a Weber Special Edition. After a trip to Logan and a request for customization, I have ordered my new friend, and I look forward to a lifetime of music with it.
  6. AnneFlies
    AnneFlies
    Hi everyone, I started playing a couple of years ago. I had played (if you can call it that) the clarinet in school (where I learned to read music), and then piano for a couple of years. This was a long time ago, but you don't forget how to read music, and for some reason it irritates me to read tabs (I can't see where the music is going).

My first mandolin was a used '93 Flatiron A5 Artist, which I love to play. My late husband had played guitar, but I liked the smaller mandolin better (at first, more for the size than the sound), so he bought the Flatiron for my birthday. I couldn't find a mando teacher around here, so the poor thing just sat in the corner. I finally found a great teacher, so I've been at it for a couple of years now. Mostly Celtic, and a couple of bluegrass tunes.

I recently bought a cheapie to take camping, a made-in-China Loar LM-220VS, and it does the job in the campground, but I'm so happy to get home to the Flatiron.

I recently went up to Elderly's to look at a Flatiron 1N and a Weyman banjolin (or mando-banjo or whatever it's called), both on consignment. Neither was in good enough shape to buy, but I did find a beautiful Weber Y2K2 flat-top. I'm amazed by its mellow sound and good looks. It was used, on consignment, but once I picked it up I couldn't put it down. There's something about that "Bruce Weber" signature that just gets to me!
  7. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Hi All; I am excited to say that come Tuesday I will be the owner of a 2009 Weber Hyalite D-Hole Octave Mandolin. I am excited to be joining both the Weber Owners Club, and the Octave Mandolin club!

I came to the mandolin a little over a year ago from the guitar, and although I haven't missed playing the guitar, I have missed being able to play big, fat, open-position, strummed chords to accompany vocals (someone elses). I can't wait to be able to do that again, but now on a mandolin family instrument!

My primary styles of music are Blues, Rock, some fiddle tunes, and "Blues flavored Old-Time". I'm thinking that a 22" scale, Spruce over Mahogany, D-Hole, mandolin family instrument should fit right into these styles! I look forward to getting to know the OM better, and to posting some clips.

Finally, I have already experienced Weber's renowned excellent customer care! Just before deciding to do the deal on this OM I sent PMs to Brett and Mary at Weber asking them to confirm that this OM had a radiused board, and I heard back from both within one business day. Additionally, Mary provided me with pretty much all of the specs for this particular OM! Impressive. (Oh, and the OM does have a 10" radius fretboard, so I should have no tendonitis issues with it!). Thank you Mary.
  8. AnneFlies
    AnneFlies
    Ed, was that the one on the classified ads here? I inquired about it yesterday and the seller said it had just been shipped. I liked the oval hole, but the new Hyalites have the f-holes. Enjoy it!
  9. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Hi Anne; yes. I am sorry I beat you to it...But also glad it's on it's way to me.
    I believe one can order a D-hole Hyalite OM at no extra cost (?). I'll have the check the "Build your own Weber" application on the Weber site. Of course, Brett and Mary would know also.

(edited 7/18/2011 @ 11am) - According to the Design a Weber utility on Weber's website, a Hyalite octave mandolin can be ordered with either an oval soundhole, or the D-shaped soundhole, for additional cost.
  10. AnneFlies
    AnneFlies
    Ed, I don't think you're going to like that OM. I think you should just send it my way, now, before you're too disappointed. I'm sure you can find something more to your liking, someday. ;-))
  11. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Wow...This 2009 Weber Hyalite D-Hole OM is beyond my expectations in every way! Wonderful Fit, Finish, Appearance, Build Quality and Tone! I am one happy camper. Of course, being new to the octave mandolin, I don't quite know my way around its fretboard yet, but here are a couple of videos I just recorded:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12