Take the Weber Poll!

1. Mary Weber
    Mary Weber
    Which Weber Instrument Would You like to Own/Play Next?

I will usually post updates on my blog...visit when you get a minute.
  2. Jon Hall
    Jon Hall
    A vintage oval A or a Bridger. I've enjoyed my Absaroka for the past 11 eleven years but I've never played or heard one of the oval hole instruments.
  3. Picker Jim
    Picker Jim
    Quite honestly I would like to play a Sweet Pea just to try something different. I have played different mandolins and guitars, but never a small travel mandolin, so it would be different from anything I have played.
  4. Mary Weber
    Mary Weber
    OK- I just figured out where the replies are..talk about slow! Jill McAuley has a video up on our website playing her oval SH Custom Vintage A mandolin. However, I know what you mean- in person is the best.
    As for a Sweet Pea, I would love to get a video of somebody playing one. Our neighbor has one (she just started playing the mando) and maybe I can convince her to let me tape her. Otherwise Elderly Instruments in Michigan usually has one on hand, too.
    mw
  5. AnneFlies
    AnneFlies
    I tried voting on the FB poll, but even after I logged in, it wouldn't let me. Anyway, I'd love to play an octave mandolin. Since Ed beat me to the Hyalite oval hole that was on the classified ads here awhile ago, I'm waiting for the Sage to be delivered to Elderly's.
  6. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Up until just recently I'd have said a custom Bighorn for sure.
    However, ever since hearing Scott Riggs' ff-hole, F-Style Yellowstone on the Spearman Brewers cuts, I'd most likely go with a Yellowstone. (Just listen to that mandolin!)
    I'm more of an A-style guy, so I'd say a customized A-Style ff-hole Yellowstone with varnish finish.
    Mary, do you folks at Weber think there is any tonal difference between the F & A style Yellowstones?
    Anne; I am sorry I beat you to the Hyalite OM, but I am also very glad she's mine.
  7. tom_nelson
    tom_nelson
    A style Bighorn Mandola w/ oval or D hole.
  8. Mary Weber
    Mary Weber
    Anne- thanks for the heads-up about the poll and I'll look into it (no guarantees tho- sometmes FB is too much for me : ) Hey, Ed- I was wondering if Scott's Yellowstone has X-bracing or tone bars. His is older and the standard used to be X-bracing on Yellowstones- this would make the most difference in the tones (and might actually be beneficial to that blues sound- bark/chop with somewhat less sustain -vs- the bell-like quality) It would be interesting to know.
    As for Weber A vs F there are some subtle tonal differences and our F's have a little more volume as the sound chamber is a tad bigger however I think most people would be hard-pressed to tell the difference in sound tests. The Big Horn does have extra space too.
  9. AnneFlies
    AnneFlies
    Ed, no problem. Let me know when you get tired of her and want to sell. I'll be waiting :-). In the meantime, enjoy!
  10. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Hi Mary; Scott's Yellowstone does, indeed, have the standard X-bracing.
    It's a killer Blues Box, that's for sure!
  11. JeffD
    JeffD
    What? No flatties? If I didn't already own an Aspen, I would get one.
  12. Dan Hulse
    Dan Hulse
    Ditto what Jon said "A vintage oval A or a Bridger".