EAST VIRGINIA BLUES by Saw Mountain Boys

1. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Here's a great old tune performed here by the Saw Mountain Boys. Actually it's really just Old Sausage and me and we exchanged the tracks via the internet. We did it in a bluegrass style. I sang the lead and David sang the harmony. Thanks to David for all his hard work taking the tracks and combining them into a song!

If you'd like an mp3 it's here: http://www.mediafire.com/?jdkw0xzjfx67ena
  2. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Hey, nice work on the video, Michael!
  3. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Uh, you boys really need to have a face to face or a pick to pick or whatever. You do that well by long distance collaboration I can only imagine what you'd sound like in a studio together. And those vocals were so clear my deaf ears caught every word. Outstanding!
  4. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    And you did a great job mixing it David. By the way, just where are you when you're standing on the earth?
  5. Eddie Sheehy
    Outstanding!
  6. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    What fun to get such tight harmony with so many miles between.
  7. Toycona
    Toycona
    You guys are awesome! As before, if you could post the mp3 link, a bunch of us would appreciate it. I'd rather listen to your version than any other.
  8. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Really nice guys. I'll be looking forward to seeing the Saw Mountain Boys in concert.
  9. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Toycona, the mp3 link is below the video.
  10. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    WOW! I keep playing it over and over. Great stuff.
    I play along with my spoons. Seems to add a little sumthin.
    If you guys ever do get together and need a 'Spoonman' let me know.
    I can double on tamberine.
    Gary
  11. Mike O'Connell
    Mike O'Connell
    Michael, David - You guys are the best. Solid harmony, Great instrumentals, Super fun. Where can I get a Saw Mountain Boys t-shirt?
  12. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Far out. So far out.
  13. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Ok...time for a cd you two! Brilliant!! Have either of you guys heard a song called "Greenback Dollar?" It's on the Foghorn Duo cd. Different lyrics but same melody. Nice video work Michael, especially with showing either of you to let peeps know who's taking the break when. DAMN!
  14. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Hi Rob - yes, I know Greenback Dollar, although not the version you mentioned - it shares some lyrics with EV blues. There is also "Little Glass of Wine" which the Stanley Brothers used to do, a murder ballad to the same tune. There is also Lily May Ledford's "East Virginia Blues", similar words but to a tune more like Jack of Diamonds. Then don't forget that singing a harmony to this song basically gives you "Can't You Hear Me Calling".
  15. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Here's Greenback Dollar and two more versions of East Virginia Blues. Elizabeth Laprelle's singing is really special... she gives an amazing old time quality to the song...

16. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Old Sausage, totally forgot that Can't You Hear Me Calling is a similar melody. So true! I'll have to check those other versions.

Michael, thanks for sharing those videos. Since we're sharing videos now here's Greenback Dollar by Foghorn Trio.
  17. Eddie Sheehy
    The only videos I want to see are more of Michael and David....
  18. KyleG_MandolinMuse
    KyleG_MandolinMuse
    Awesome. Great job Michael and David. Very nicely done.
  19. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Elizabeth Laprelle's voice, btw, is a phenomenon more alto singers could produce if only they'd breathe from the belly, i.e. tap into the most efficient power source a singer can get. Here is another example from a local band here (mando content: mandocello accompaniment; caveat: blue language).
  20. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Fabulous, David and Michael! Here I am on vacation for a few days and almost miss this great performance.

I knew you guys could play, but the singing is really the icing on the cake.

Just great musicianship.
  21. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Great job, guys. Really cool. Here's a version with my friend, Gregg, on guitar and vocals.

22. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Awesome, Natalie-Merchant-grass!
  23. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Thanks for posting Don... I was hoping to hear you and Gregg playing something together again.