The White Petticoat

1. Eddie Sheehy
    A 6/8 jig with a Classical feel... played on an Ovation MC868 Mandocello - in a single take, flubs and all...

2. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    I like it "flubs and all".
    Does Ovation make that bad boy Eddie?
    Or, is it a custom rig?
    Gary
  3. Eddie Sheehy
    Made by Ovation as a Special Order... there are a few of them around and they have a new production line with an upgraded equalizer - list price is $2800. The older ones used to retail for $1,800. They appear on ebay from time to time for about $1,100
  4. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I like that deep rich sound. I'll bet it's a work out for melody picking.
  5. Eddie Sheehy
    Here's a comparison of strings I did. Played on three mandolin swith different string-sets.
    First Mandolin is an Eastman 807D -2 point prototype with D'Addario FW74 flatwound strings.
    Second Mandolin is an Eastman DGM1- Giacomel-style F5 with Thomastik Infeld TI154 Stark (heavy) strings.
    Third Mandolin i san Eastman DGM2 - Bacon-style 2 point with Thomastik TI154 Mittel (medium) strings.
    The most noticeable thing they all had in common was the tinniness of the E-strings in comparison to the others...

6. Eddie Sheehy
    Here's a comparison of strings I did. Played on three mandolas with different string-sets.
    First Mandola is a Weber Bitterroot 17" Scale Mandola with D'Addario FT76 flat-top strings.
    Second Mandola is a Gibson H1 16" Scale with Thomastik Infeld TI164 M (medium) strings.
    Third Mandola is an Eastman DGM3 16" Scale - Lyon & Healy-style 2 point with Thomastik TI174 M (medium) strings.
    They are all tuned CCGGDDAA

7. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    It was very interesting to listen to the tests of the various mandolins and mandolas! I really like the sound of mandolin no. 1 and mandola no. 1 –– probably has nothing to do with the strings but rather the instruments. Although when checking noticed both were strung with D'Addario FT76 flat-top strings. (I use D'Addario EXP75 medium heavies myself, the ones with the coated phosphor bronze strings. Sound pretty good and they really last and last.)
  8. Eddie Sheehy
    Actually Michael the mandolin no. 1 has D'Addario FW74 flatwound strings and the no. 1 mandola has FT76 flat-tops (these are a heavier gauge than the J76 mandola strings). The interesting thing about your comment is that the D'Addario strings are a fraction of the price of the Thomastiks... Having said that , the Weber is a Classy instrument and the 17" scale gives it a deep sound. The Eastman 807D is probably my bottom-of-the line of the instruments that I currently have...
  9. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    I'm a sucker for a mandolin with a deep, dark tone. As to the instruments... I remember hearing an interview with the late, great jazz bassist, Ray Brown, in which when asked what a student should look for when trying to find an upright bass, he said that it was only the tone that's important, not the price or who made it. Then he went on to say something about choosing an instrument with the ears and not the eyes. I've always tried to follow that advice... (think I'll now go and check out the difference between flat-wound and flat-top strings...)
  10. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Fun to hear all these. I think I've got this song pretty well embedded in my head now.
  11. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Eddie, those were ALL great!

Here's some abc that I found for the tune.

http://abcnotation.com/tunePage?a=tr...heStick_1/0000

X:1
    T:the White Petticoat
    T:Handy With the Stick
    S:Philippe Varlet <philvar:EROLS.COM irtrad-l 2001-7-26
    N:[missing final 3 bars reconstructed from O'Neill's version by JC]
    M:6/8
    L:1/8
    K:Dm
    G | Adc BAG | FED A,DF | EAA BAA | ^cAA BAG |
    Adc BAG | FED A,DF | EAA BAG | FDC D2 :|
    |:\
    f | fdB FBd | feg fed | BAG DGB | Ad^c dAF |
    EAA FAA | EAG FED | A,DF BAG | FDC D2 :|

and this

http://abcnotation.com/tunePage?a=ww...Petticoat/0000

X:0773
    T:"The White Petticoat" (jig) 0773
    C:Unattributed
    B:O'Neill's Music Of Ireland (The 1850) Lyon & Healy, Chicago, 1903 edition
    Z:FROM O'NEILL'S TO NOTEWORTHY, FROM NOTEWORTHY TO ABC, MIDI AND .TXT BY VINCE
    BRENNAN July 2003 (HTTP://WWW.SOSYOURMOM.COM)
    I:abc2nwc
    M:6/8
    L:1/8
    K:G
    B|Bed cBA|GFE B,EG|FBB {d}cBB|eBB {d}cBA|
    Bed {d}cBA|GFE B,EG|FBB {d}cBA|GEE E2:|
    |:g|{a}gec Gce|gaf {a}gec|{d}cBA EAc|Be^d eBG|
    FBB GBB|FBA GFE|B,EG cBA|GEE E2:|

and yet another:

http://abcnotation.com/tunePage?a=ww...o1-0773-1/0000
  12. Eddie Sheehy
    I got it from the Portland Collection...
  13. Eddie Sheehy
    Michael, there are a few threads on strings and string-types in the Equipment section of the main board....