Week #131 ~ Snug in the Blanket

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Snug in the Blanket, which was submitted as a Celtic (IT) jig. I'm not familiar with this tune, but have found this:

Here is the abc from thesession.org (in G) If you go to the comments page, there's other ABC in other keys.

X: 1
    T: Snug In The Blanket
    M: 6/8
    L: 1/8
    R: jig
    K: Gmaj
    A2B cBc|EFE c2A|B2G AFD|GAG BAG|
    A2B cBc|EFE c2A|BdB cAF|G3 BAG:|
    FGA AFd|AFd AFd|FGA AFd|EFG GFE|
    FGA AFd|AFd ABc|BdB cAF|G3 BAG:|
    FGA AFD|DED AFD|FGA AFD|GFG BAG|
    FGA AFD|DED ABc|BdB cAF|G3 BAG:|
  2. avwdds
    avwdds
    Found the standard notation and mando tab along with a midi file for this tune here:
    http://musicaviva.com/midi/music.tpl...=o2-0138-gdae1
  3. Doghearty
    Doghearty
    Yes!!!
  4. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Excellent stuff David.This version is from Oneill's.

5. Toycona
    Toycona
    Great song and playing!
  6. Toycona
    Toycona
    David, watching your video again, I'm impressed by the ease of your left hand. I need to learn to be less of a 'crusher.'
  7. Tavy
    Tavy
    David - love that Sobel - your version rocks - in a traditional folky kind of way obviously
  8. avwdds
    avwdds
    Nice work David and Maudlin. You guys got that down quick! Your arrangement is great to, David. I'm not sure why this one gave me so much trouble, it took me quite a bit of time to work up to this spotty version I have here. Fun tune this week and I like the three parts to it. I look forward to seeing more.

9. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    lovely versions lads - I must try to have a go at it today before the work week kicks in again tomorrow for me!
  10. laura809
    laura809
    Nice work everyone. This one was a little challenging for me, especially the right hand technique.
  11. richardoxley2
    richardoxley2
    Thats nice Laura
  12. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Good job, ya'll! It's been hectic in my life, but maybe I'll try to get something recorded! Jill, glad to see you at least posting some replies... I'd been worried we'd lost you!!!!
  13. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    You'd never lose me - I'm like a bad penny, I'll always turn up! My life has been hectic as well - I'm picking up extra hours at one of my jobs due to staffing changes. Still managing to squeeze in mandolin/banjo/tenor guitar playing time nonetheless but haven't been recording much or learning too many new tunes.
  14. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Very nice playing, guys and girl.

Jill, Barb is right. We have been missing your posts
  15. Werner Jaekel
    Werner Jaekel
    the moment I heard Davids Snug in the Blanket on youtube I liked it, and searched for all the versions available. I don't have the gear for posting my version, yet. For me, this is a tune which prooves how easy tunes come if one likes them.
    Very nice playing, everybody.
  16. Werner Jaekel
    Werner Jaekel
    probably nothing new to ye

T: Snug in a Blanket
    K: Dmaj
    e2f gfg|~A3 g2e|faf gec|dcd f2d|
    e2f gfg|~A3 g2e|faf gec|dfe d3:||
    c2d eAA|eAf ecA|c2d ecA|Bcd f2e|
    c2d eAA|eAf ecA|f/g/af gec|1dfe d3:|2dfe d2f||

K: Gmaj
    A2B cBc|EFE c2A|B2G AFD|GAG BAG|
    A2B cBc|EFE c2A|BdB cAF|G3 BAG:|
    FGA AFd|AFd AFd|FGA AFd|EFG GFE|
    FGA AFd|AFd ABc|BdB cAF|G3 BAG:|
    FGA AFD|DED AFD|FGA AFD|GFG BAG|
    FGA AFD|DED ABc|BdB cAF|G3 BAG:|

X: 2
    K:Gmaj
    |3.A.c.A B cBc|(3EEE E c2A|B2G AFD|GFG BAG|
    |A2B cBc|(3EEE Ec2A|(3.B.c.d B cAF|G2A BAG:|
    |:FGA AFd|AFd AFd|FGA AFD|~G3 BAG|
    |FGA AFd|AFd ABc|(3.B.c.d B cAF|~G2A BAG:|
    |:FGA AFA|(3DDD D AFA|(3DDDD AFD|(3EEE E GFE|
    |FGA AFA|(3DDD D ABc|(3.B.c.d B cAF|G3 G2z:|

X: 4
    K:Gmaj
    G |:\
    .A/.c/.AB cBc | EE/E/E c2 A | B2 G AFD | GFG BAG |
    A2 B cBc | EE/E/E c2 A | .B/.c/.d B cAF | G2 A BAG :|
    |: FGA AFd | AFd AFd | FGA AFD | ~G3 BAG |
    FGA AFd | AFd ABc | .B/.c/.dB cAF | ~G2 A BAG :|
    |: FGA AFA | DD/D/D AFA | DD/D/D AFD | EE/E/E GFE |
    FGA AFA | DD/D/D ABc | .B/.c/.dB cAF | G3 G2 z :|

X: 5
    S: Liam O'Flynn
    K: DMix
    |: A2 B cBc | ~E3 c2 A | B2 G AFD | ~G3 BAG |
    A/A/AB cBc | ~E3 c2 A | B/c/dB cAF | G2 A BAG :|
    |: FGA AFd | AFd AFd | FGA AFD | EFG GFE |
    FGA AFd | AFd ABc | B/c/dB cAF | ~G2 A BAG :|
    |: FGA AFA | ~D3 AFD | FGA AFD | GAB BAG |
    FGA AFA | ~D3 ABc | B/c/dB cAF | G2 A BAG :|

I like to combine versions, go from one to another, like a set.

How do I insert tef files here ?
  17. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Managed to make some time for a quick video. Laura mentioned right hand technique, and I haven't piped in about that for a while, but this jig is a perfect opportunity!

There are many ways you can do it, and when I started playing, I didn't know anything about pick direction, so I've had to retrain myself. But, I studied the schools of thought on pick direction and jigs, and found that the DUD DUD makes the most sense, and works best for me. And, even after I got the DUD part down, I was still sometimes picking the part of the measures that were a quarter note, then eighth note (rather than the 3 eighth notes of DUD) as D U DUD. However, to totally get your right hand moving in the pattern of DUD DUD, those measures should be picked D D DUD. I think the 2nd D (3rd beat of the 6 beats in a measure) is an important note, and sounds better as a down stroke.

I showed what I'm talking about in the first part of the video, and then tried to play it slow enough, and with enough of a closeup, that you could see it in the video.

So, here's mine, played once through on my Collings MT2O mandolin. Changed strings last week, and I'm trying out Jazz Mando's flatwounds....

18. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    lovely stuff Barbara! So smooth and great tone!
  19. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    You can't insert or embed .tef files within the social group forum. However, if you go to the regular forum, at the bottom, you'll find Miscellaneous Stuff, and you'll see a thread entitled "Thread for Social Group MP3 posting" You have a wider variety of things you can attach there, MP3's and .tef files, to name a couple. You should be able to see how people are attaching their files there, and then, they link back to that thread, in this forum. You should be able to figure out how to do that; if not, send me a private message!
  20. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Nice bit of playing, Barbara, and great sound from that mando. Jill, great to see you posting again - saw further up that you'd been busy with work and other things. Being retired, I am just too busy for work nowadays!
  21. laura809
    laura809
    Very nice Barbara, and great attention to detail on the picking.