Charming Lovely Nancy

1. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    This is a slip jig I found laying around in a notebook of whistle tunes I'd printed off years ago. It jumped out at me because my paternal grandmother's line arrived in the New World on the ship Charming Nancy in 1737. Mixing the mando and whistle is tricky because the whistle wants to overpower the mando. And it sounds different if you're listening on speakers vs. headphone vs. earbuds vs. different speakers, headphone or earbuds. I have an art teacher friend who describes the whistle as "yellow paint" -- you have to use it judiciously or it's just too much!

2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Great wee tune and very Irish-sounding, Martin. Whistle and mando sound good on my Samson Resolv monitors and the balance seems fine. By the way, I love the tee shirt and its caption!
  3. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    What John said. Got to get me a tee shirt like that - you're being a fashion role model again.

Don't forget the Irish allegoric factor: old women stand for Ireland, young women stand for alcohol. Whenever the Irish mean real women, they resort to Irish language. So this is probably a poteen tune.
  4. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    You guys crack me up. You can get that t-shirt over the internet. My secretary got it for me for Christmas (at my request).
  5. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Very catchy tune. Found these abc's... I believe it's a slide (12/8) not a slip jig (9/8)

X: 272
    T:Charming Lovely Nancy
    M:12/8
    L:1/8
    Q:230
    R:slide
    D:Verena Commins and Julie Langan: Fonnchaoi
    Z:Devin McCabe
    K:G
    G2E D2E G2A B3|cBA B2G A2G EDE|G2E D2E G2A B3|d2B ABA G3 G3:|
    !efg d2B c2e d3|d2B A2G E2A ABA|efg d2B c2e d3|d2B ABA G3 G3|
    !efg d2B c2e d3|d2B A2G E2A ABA|G2E D2E G2A B3|d2B ABA G3 G3||
  6. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    You are quite correct Barbara. I mispoke.
  7. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Nicely played Martin.
  8. Steve Cantrell
    Steve Cantrell
    Love the yellow paint analogy. Very nicely done, and loved the linkage to your personal history. You were almost required to learn that.
  9. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here's mine, actually made it 3 times through! Like most of my videos, probably played slower than you'd end up playing it eventually!

10. Steve Cantrell
    Steve Cantrell
    Very pretty, Barbara. Even tone and clean. I have always been a masher so that appeals to me.
  11. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Like soft spring rain drops falling on tulip petals - how do you create that tone Barb? So charming.
  12. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Like warm maple syrup and melted butter.