Jump at the Sun

1. llamela
    llamela
    Here is a contemporary English tune by the John Kirkpatrick, who led the English morris revival in the 70s. It has the quality of a dark children's television tune about it.

2. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    Wow! I love the way that was filmed! Very engaging! So cool! Great tune too!
  3. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    Yes, it's a fun tune. Very popular at Halloween contra dances. Nice playing; what is the mando-like instrument?
  4. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Teh awesomeness. A cat also. Purrrfect.
  5. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Was your camera on your hat? Very cool tune, and I love kitties, too!
  6. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    I so wanna learn this. For those who want it, here's the TAB... Jump At The Sun
  7. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    It kinda reminds me of the music from movies like "Nightmare Before Christmas", "The Corpse Bride", and "Coraline". Almost haunting in a comical way. "Coraline" was a good movie by the way. Kinda creepy, but good.
  8. Michael Wolf
    Michael Wolf
    Thanks, great playing and a very tight and full sound in this combination. The tune sounds like a Tarantella to me, doesn´t it?
  9. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    Great craic!
  10. Eddie Sheehy
    Mighty!
  11. Susanne
    Susanne
    That's a nice tune! And I love the Castagnari box
    Maybe a bit of tarantella feel to it It's lovely with that bouzouki.Melody playing on the bouzouki is soo nice!!
  12. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Great stuff there! Chris Travers nailed it on the head - "kinda creepy but good"!
  13. Eddie Sheehy
    I'm going to try it on a zouk....
  14. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    X:1
    T:Jump at the Sun
    C:
    L:1/8
    Q:240
    M:6/8
    K:Bb
    |:B/A/ | "Gm"GBd ^c2d | "Gm"GBd ^c2d | "Gm"gdd "Gm/bb"gdd | "Cm"dcB "D7"A2B | "Gm"GBd ^c2d | \
    "Gm"GBd ^c2d | "Gm"gdd "Cm"edc |1 "D7"BcA "Gm"G3 :|2 "D7"BcA "Gm"G3 |: "Gm"gdd bag | \
    "D7"add c'ba | "Gm"bag bag | "D7"a^fd e2d | "Gm"gdd bag | "D7"add c'ba | "Gm"gdd "Cm"edc | \
    "D7"BcA "Gm"G3 :| \
    W:Created with TablEdit http://www.tabledit.com/
  15. Redmando
    Redmando
    Try it an octave down from Jim's ABC - its much easier than trying to get those high notes on the top string.
  16. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    This is my sort of tune- not too difficult to play but sounds really interesting. This is the Dm version from mandozine.
  17. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I really like this tune, and I've just come across a version in Em, which sits much nicer under the fingers on mandolin than the more common Dm version:

Martin
  18. Simon DS
    Simon DS
  19. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Nice take, Simon! I thought I'd seen that artwork before -- I think you've already posted it in the official SAW thread for this tune:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/g...651&do=discuss

Martin
  20. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Very good, Simon! I once heard the story that this tune is known as "John Patterson" in some parts, due to a mishearing.
  21. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thank you Sirs! Reminds me of that ages-old tune, Swap Jemma. Hundreds of thousands of years old it is - she was the daughter of John Side.
  22. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    I missed this when I was away. Great to hear your posts again, Simon. I love the driving, almost percussive, style. A real foot tapper.
  23. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Good to hear you again, Simon, and with such a psychedelic tune
  24. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Yeah Simon!