Week #132 ~ Stoney Creek

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week was a close one; the winner by one vote is Stoney Creek, which was submitted as a bluegrass tune. I have found that it was written by Jesse McReynolds.

I'm not familiar with this tune, and I'm coming up pretty blank when searching for notation for the tune.

Here is a link to this tune's discussion a few weeks back, here in the social group, with a few videos.

Here is a link to Mandozine's TOW's list of tunes; scroll down, and you can find Stoney Creek, with a link to a tef file.

I found this on YouTube; I don't know this mandolin player (he should join our social group!), he demonstrates a great ability to play bluegrass, and not miss a lick while small children are misbehaving in the other room!

Since I've found so little to help ya'll with this tune, hopefully some of our more savvy members can jump in and give us some help!
  2. laura809
    laura809
    Jack Tottle's book, Bluegrass Mandolin, has standard notation and tab for this tune. It is pretty difficult, and uses a lot of crosspicking. The Mandolin Picker's Fakebook also has tab, and a different arrangement.
  3. avwdds
    avwdds
    Wow, this tune is smokin' fun but it looks like everyone else is having as much trouble with it as I am! Nice thing is that with BG you have a little more freedom than some other forms. I'm hoping to get my very much slowed down version up by the end of the week. There are several versions of this song by various artists on grooveshark that may help give some fun ideas for variations. The one done by Jim and Jessie is great as are those done by Tony Rice and Bryan Sutton.
  4. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Yep, it must be a hard one! Here we are on Tuesday, and no one has submitted a video!
  5. Steve Cantrell
    Steve Cantrell
    I think we have a handle on it Barbara--we'll try to get one up tonight (less the Reynolds cross-picking--won't be doing that anytime soon).
  6. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Yeah, I think this one is completely out of my league.
  7. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    This tune needn't be that hard. A and F are both keys that have a lot of open strings and can be played in first position. You don't have to do the cross-picking. Here's a slower, first position example - perhaps it will spark some ideas. You don't have to play a tune exactly as written, or as you've heard it. It just has to fit the chords. Go crazy, make something up!

8. Steve Cantrell
    Steve Cantrell
    I'm with OS on this one. We got it down in just a few--the key change sort of throws you at first, but there's plenty of "room" in that second part to do whatever you'd like.
  9. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Here's Stoney Creek with a few variations. For some reason 5-string banjo players love this tune. I must admit it's quite a challenge to play it at the speed most banjo players would take off on this one... This version is closer in tempo to how Jesse McReynolds might pick it. (However, I had to leave out all the cross picking to get up to this speed...)

10. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Two great and different versions, OS and Michael. Very competent picking and left-hand fingering from you both and you make it look so effortless. Makes me realise why I love playing SLOW airs!
  11. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Thanks, John! However speaking for myself, I find that Slow Airs are every bit as challenging as an up tempo bluegrass number. In fact, I'll go so far as to say that they are much more challenging to pull off... and much more rewarding when you do!
  12. Steve Cantrell
    Steve Cantrell
    I felt a little out of sorts on this one. For one thing, I was missing my better half (chest cold) and I had to STAND STILL. That is terribly difficult for me...
  13. Rosemary Philips
    Rosemary Philips
    Okay, here's my effort. I just followed the tabledit version and even used their backup "guitarist." It's a fun tune, even slow!

Rosemary
  14. Rosemary Philips
    Rosemary Philips
    Trying again...
  15. laura809
    laura809
    This is a tough song, and my performance is definitely a work in progress. I attempted the version in Jack Tottle's book, Bluegrass Mandolin.
  16. Steve Cantrell
    Steve Cantrell
    Sounds great to me, Laura. Nice picking. Rosemary I still can't seem to see yours.
  17. Rosemary Philips
    Rosemary Philips
    Think I've got it this time...

18. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    You guys all sound great. I really like all the different takes on the B part. That's the area I can't seem to get postable.
  19. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Well, I will never be a Bluegrasser, but I won't stop trying hard

And need to change strings, too ...

So many hard acts to follow. Great job everyone. I seem to use the same version as Ro56 from mandozine (intermediate)

20. avwdds
    avwdds
    Very nice work everyone. I fell apart trying to play some kind of fast triplet run at the end of the B part that I probably didn't have any business attempting. Oh well. It was fun to try to play some bluegrass!
  21. Rosemary Philips
    Rosemary Philips
    Wow--very nice!