Turkey in the Straw

1. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I'm just on greenbean casserole duty today, so I had time to whip up a turkey for you guys. On closer inspection, I discovered that the first A part has a little too much stuffing, but I'm callling that an intro and saying it's all gravy. Happy Thanksgiving!
  2. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Nice one Marcie! That is a long time favorite of mine, although I don't play it nearly as well. A quintessential American fiddle tune. There are many, many twists on lyrics to this tune, but I took the liberty of making my own up when the kids were little. I think you will not be surprised to know that it was inspired by various road trips.

The Dead Skunk Song
    (sung to Turkey in the Straw)

There’s a dead skunk and I don’t know why
    He crawled to the middle of the road to die
    You can smell him a mile and a half away
    Particur’ly on a warm summer day

CHORUS:
    Dead skunk in the middle of the road
    Dead skunk, now don’t cha know
    Scoop ‘im up and eat ‘im with a high tuck-a-ho
    There’s a dead skunk in the middle of the road

Well g’ma’s in the kitchen, Uncle Frank’s in the barn
    You know that ol’ skunk is gettin’ mighty warm
    Grab me a shovel and a brown gunny sack
    Take a walk down the road, now I’ll be right back

Now stoke up the fire and bile some grits
    Smellin’ that skunk is giving me fits
    Pass the red gravy and the warm cornbread
    Roadkill stew will keep us well fed

You can bile ‘im you can bake ‘im, you can put ‘im in a pie
    You can make a furry hat or a striped neck tie
    You can feed ‘im to the preacher and the congregation too
    And they’ll gobble ’im up with a howdy-doody-doo!

Copyright 2000
  3. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Those lyrics are absolutely hilarious. I can only imagine what other gems you've got stashed away, Martin. Awesome chording and vocals too.
  4. Eddie Sheehy
    Wonderful tune Marcy and well played.

Brilliant Martin, reminds me of Loudon Wainwright's classic:

Crossin the hiway late last night, should'a looked left, Should'a looked right
    Never saw the stationwagon car...
    Skunk got squasehed and there you are.

You got your dead skunk in the middle of the road
    Dead skink in the middle of the road
    Stinkin to high heaven.

Take a whiff on me, that ain't no rose!
    Roll up yer window and hold yer nose
    You don't have to look and you don't have to see
    'Cause you can feel it in your olfactory
    You got yer
    You got yer dead skunk in the middle of the road
    Stinkin' to high Heaven!
    Yeah you got yer dead cat and you got yer dead dog
    On a moonlight night you got yer dead toad frog
    Got yer dead rabbit and yer dead raccoon
    The blood and the guts they're gonna make you swoon!
    You got yer
    You got yer dead skunk in the middle of the road
    Stinkin' to high Heaven!
  5. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    You folks are having way too much fun. ROADKILL STEW
  6. laura809
    laura809
    I'm really enjoying this thread. Marcelyn, that was a nice full sounding arrangement of Turkey in the Straw. Martin, I just heard the Louden Wainwright song on the radio a few days ago and thought it was hilarious, so your tune really got my attention. I think you could make a fabulous video for that tune with a few video clips and skunk pictures illustrating the story.
  7. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    My sister told me about that Loudon Wainwright version after I sang this for her. Honest, I had no idea! Is it also to the Turkey in the Straw tune? I'll see if I can find it on YouTube.
  8. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Hahaha! I'm listening to it right now! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doqTSev-_lQ Love it!

It just occurred to me that my Europeon friends have likely never had the honor witnessing that malodorous scent that is so ubiquitous on American highways and byways. Goodness! You must visit the States if for no other reason!
  9. Eddie Sheehy
    After seeing Loudon Wainwright perform that song live in Dublin in the early 70's I knew I just had to get over here and feast my olefactory glands on that odiferous scent... but EATING it?
  10. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Eddie, there is a contingent of "rednecks," not only in the South of our fair land, but scattered all about, that will eat anything on four legs with fur or two legs with feathers. I imagine skunk would be similar to groundhog or racoon - gamey and greasy.
  11. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I've been to the States twice - in and around Pittsburg PA, and driving the I70 from Denver to Aspen to spend a few days in Snowmass Village (in summer!) - even saw a young black bear on a parking lot but never had an olfactoric encounter of that kind. I might have been distracted, though, hadn't changed my socks for two days...

But as the Irish say: to know beauty, one must live with it
  12. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    There are those of us who like the smell when passing a dead one.... but some of us are strange! I probably would have a different idea if I were directly sprayed, or ever had to deal with de-skunking a dog who'd had a run-in with one!
  13. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I remember visiting relations in Ontario, Canada in the late 70s. We drove through Rainbow Country, as they call it, and at one point my aunt wrinkled her nose and said "skunk!" I smelt nothing at all. My theory is that Americans are more sensitive to smells than Europeans because, in a bigger country, they have access to more fresh air
    (and it just occurred to me that our videos are missing a full sensory dimension).

So - whenever a European comes to visit you, don't forget your gas mask
  14. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Bertram, your aunt was no doubt just catching a little whiff. Trust me, when you really get a good noseful there will be no doubt left in your mind as to what it is. The only thing remotely similar is a wetland plant appropriately dubbed the "skunk cabbage."
  15. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Getting hungry - "roadkill stew with skunk cabbage" sounds like true pioneer cuisine.
  16. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Marcy, great sound from your mando

Martin, very nice performance and interesting roadkill perspective

But now back to the TURKEY:

17. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Very nice, Manfred! I'd never noticed that rather than tapping your foot, you seem to be a human metronome!
  18. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Manfred, that was hotter than a polecat on a WalMart parking lot in mid July. Very nicely done.
  19. AaronVW
    AaronVW
    Great stuff all around. Martin, I went around singing 'dead skunk in the middle of the road, dead skunk don't cha know..." most of the day on friday. Marcelyn and Manfred, well played, as usual, and a very fun tune for the holiday!
  20. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Wow, really nice, Manfred. I love the ornamentation in the A part especially.
  21. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Ohhhh, sorry Aaron. I hate that when a song gets stuck in my head, even if it is that great classic, "The Dead Skunk Song." Manfred, way to stuff that Turkey!
  22. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    That's one top toe tap Manfred! Auf gehts Buam!
  23. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Nice playing Manfred, I like sound of your mandolin very much. It sounds deep and warm with a lot of sustain!
  24. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Thanks boys and girls. This version is from Mandolin Gold, one of my first tune books.

Luurtie, thanks for your kind words on my mando. I have had it since July and can hardly put it down.
    I will never be a hard-driving Bluegrasser so I did not want the 'fast decaying tone' but rather a more complex tone and sustain.