GLEN MASSAN (A Scottish waltz by John Kelly)

1. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Our own John Kelly, multi-instrumentalist and luthier of many fine acoustic stringed instruments, wrote this lovely tune. He played harmonica and tenor guitar on this arrangement while I played mandolin and six string guitars. We exchanged the instrument tracks via the internet as John lives in Scotland and I reside in Southern California. The slide show pictures Scotland's wonderful scenery and some close-up photography of my instruments.

Here's the abc:

X:1 %Do not change this rule!!
    T: Glen Massan % title
    C: John Kelly % composer
    O:Scottish Waltz % origin.
    M: 3/4 % meter
    L:1/8 % length of shortest note
    Q:100 % tempo
    K:D % key
    "D"F3#ED2|A3F#A2|"G"B3cd2|"D"AF4#A|
    "G"B3AB2|"Bm"d3BB2|"D"A2F2#D2|"A"E6|
    "D"F3#ED2|A3F#A2|"G"B3cd2|"D"AF4#A
    "G"B3AA2|"Bm"d4F#F#"A"E3DC2|"D"D6|
    "G"B3AB2|"Bm"d3BB2|"D"A2F2#D2|"A"E6|
    "D"F3#ED2|A3F#A2|"G"B3cd2|"D"AF4#A
    "G"B3AA2|"Bm"d4F#F#"A"E3DC2|"D"D4A2|
    "G"B3cd2|"D"A3F#A2|"G"B2c2d2|"D"A3F#A2|
    "G"B3cd2|"D"d2e2f2#|"Em"f3#ed2|"A"e4z2|
    "G"B3AB2|"D"d3AF2#|"A"E3F#E2|"D"D6||
  2. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    A beautifully moody, yet somehow uplifting Waltz. It has become one of my favorites.
    I find myself humming it at work. Now, yet another Cafe duo creating a piece of music that is cd worthy.
    Great work John and Michael. I think it could only sound better if I were playing it in my man cave
    on a John Kelly Tenor guitar. Thanks for the ABC's.
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    I feel really pleased with this combined effort. Michael did all the mixing and the video so I can sit back and look at this in a different light. Isn't the internet amazing, allowing two players several thousands of miles apart to combine and make music. Must say that I had problems uploading my two files for Michael (who pointed me to MediaFire to get the files to him) as our internet, though broadband, is desperately slow up here - doubt if it would let me upload a jig or reel!
  4. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    What A great way of making music together! May I merge a dutch track sometime?
  5. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That is a beautiful waltz. I'm definitely going to learn that one. You two sound amazing together.
  6. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
  7. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    That is really spectacular guys. It IS amazing how the internet can bring 2 accomplished musicians together for all to enjoy. Amazing.
  8. Werner Jaekel
    Werner Jaekel
    ... the merits of the web, yes, I have been following each production of you two, learned not only beautiful tunes new to me, but also improved my own playing. This is now something topping it all. Wonderful ! Will get the tune out of my folder again ...... One more thing: Why not a internet session of the whole forum ? Select someone to arrange, contribute, exchange and create a " The Song-A-Week Social Group. arrangement"
  9. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I think someone attempted that on Brian Boru's March. It was interesting, if not a tad off the wall.
  10. Mike O'Connell
    Mike O'Connell
    John, Michael - Very easy on the ears. For a low-tech guy I am and will probably always be amazed with the possibilities of the internet. Thank for sharing.
  11. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Barbara, thanks for the link to the earlier discussion of this tune. Somehow I missed seeing (and hearing) the great versions posted there! This forum is getting really big!
  12. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Another production from Stuche's Stellar Symphony Shack - outstanding!

Ja'he' - there is one famous project of this kind featuring Butterfly. It's quite funny, but to think I would have to play the tune about 100 times to make it work...
  13. Werner Jaekel
    Werner Jaekel
    doesn't have to be complicated. Lay down a rhythm pattern or specify a tune , everybody can do his thing to it. Mail to a specified person to bring it all together. Voilą, the whole forum rocking !
  14. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    Beautiful! A duet from both sides of the pond. Thank you!
  15. Barefoot Bud
    Barefoot Bud
    It sounds like a classic. Such a sweet tune
  16. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    A duet from both sides of the pond.

Yes, kind of a transatlantic session. It is today's continuation of what started travelling on slow hunger ships from the Highland Clearances and the Famine and has accelerated to light speed now. This is big league stuff!
  17. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Wow Bertram, I just really liked John's tune when I listened to it on his YouTube site and really wanted to try and learn it. It's great that we can go halfway round the world (via the internet) and play music with kindred spirits. Hopefully more players will try it in the future. By the way, you played a really lovely (and powerful) version of this tune on the original thread of this tune... thanks!