Stanley neck

1. Mike Bunting
    I started this group because I thought that we should be represented at the 'cafe. Here's my first question to get things started.
    I love the neck contour on #20, it is fatter on the top, thumb side and trimmed slimmer on the "passenger side" as Chris calls it. Do others have this type of neck and how do the owners like this feature?
  2. Bert Deivert
    Bert Deivert
    Hi Mike, I have #42, and haven't really thought about it. Not much to compare with. When I get my new A model #53 which is on its way here, I will do a comparison, because I had Chris make a wider neck based on an old Gibson I have. Good initiative to start the group. Chris's mandolins are amazing!
  3. Mike Bunting
    They are great mandolins. What shape is the neck on #42?
  4. Mike Bunting
    Mike Bunting-#20
    bdeivert- #42
    randywatkins-#5
  5. randygwatkins
    randygwatkins
    Mike,
    I now have old #5...I believe you once owned it??
  6. Mike Bunting
    I never owned it, though if I recall correctly, John Malayter had it. Btw, I haven't seen your name before, nice to meet you.
  7. randygwatkins
    randygwatkins
    thanks, you too! I do a lot of reading with few posts, but I'm always around
    RW
  8. Bert Deivert
    Bert Deivert
    Hi Mike and Randy
    oh I looked a #5 when it was for sale, but then after talking to Chris I bought one of his current ones from him, #42, #53 will be delivered to me later this week! It is enroute. about the neck. I played on #42 today and think I understand what you mean Mike... the neck on the bass side seems to be a little thicker than on the treble side. VERY nice v-shape to the neck too. I love those on guitars too
    BERT
  9. Mike Bunting
    Chris calls the treble side the passenger side. I love the feel of that shape too.
  10. Mike Bunting
    bdeivert, how's #53 turning out?
  11. Bert Deivert
    Bert Deivert
    Wow Mike, don't check in often here as you see! #53 is great, and has a wide special neck which works better for me than the thin V-5 neck. I used the V-5 on my latest album KID MAN BLUES on a couple of cuts. I have lowered the strings a bit on the #53 and use lighter gauge since I found the sort of bluegrass setup on it not to suit my blues playing.