The other Gloucester Hornpipe...

1. WillFly
    WillFly
    Martin Jonas posted a version of the Gloucester Hornpipe here some days ago. I was interested as I know another tune with exactly the same name - not unusual, of course! The version I know was recorded by the Old Swan Band from Goucestershire on a great album called "Swan For The Money" - and it goes like this:

2. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    That is a fine tune well played. Thanks!
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A lovely bit of playing, Will. Sounds very "English" in style and almost medieval. The backing is very effective here too.
  4. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Sounds like what would be played at Mr. Fezziwig's house for Christmas. Not impressing young Ebenezer, of course, but impressing me!
  5. WillFly
    WillFly
    Thanks, folks. The tune - to me - is very English, indeed very much Southern English - quite different from the "Newcastle" style (dotted hornpipes) of James Hill, like:

The Southern style has a very 2/4'ish rhythm and uses the melodic notes of the scale as its basis. The northern, or Newcastle, style uses arpeggios as its basis, but tempers them with little chromatic runs.
  6. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Just got to love those little chromatic runs! Will, you make it look so effortless. Thanks