Merrily Kissed The Quaker's Wife

1. Eddie Sheehy
    Another tune that lends itself to the Bouzouki/OM...GDAD tuning.

2. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Eddie, those slides in the A part give an incredibly elegant feeling to that tune. When I find the time, I'll record my own version of it (normally I play this right after the Kesh Jig, so you might figure what it will sound like...).

Bertram
  3. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Eddie, again, that was awesome! Which bouzouki was that?
  4. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Here is my version, as usual less elaborate than Eddie's, stomping/punching instead.

Bertram
  5. Eddie Sheehy
    My bouzouki is a Richard Beard creation - tuned GDAD.
  6. KeithMcIsaac
    KeithMcIsaac
    Good stuff Eddie and Bertarm. Here's my take on it:

7. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Keith, awesome! Tell us about your mando!
  8. KeithMcIsaac
    KeithMcIsaac
    Thanks Barbara!

It's a Republic Resonator Mandolin. They are made in China for Republic Guitars of Texas. Or maybe I should say they WERE made for Republic because I don't think they are selling the mandolins anymore. It was inexpensive but plays fantastically easily and sounds pretty much the way I expected a metal mandolin would sound. I haven't had a chance to play any other resonator mandolins but I expect that this is comparable in quality to the Johnson ones. It has a very ugly pearloid headstock overlay.

I got this mandolin for busking with. It's shiny, weird looking and loud... a perfect attention-getter. Also the easy action lets me play tunes for a long time without tiring out too much. I intend to learn some blues on it but haven't found time for that project yet.
  9. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Hi Keith, that sound reminds me much of the famous Commodium made out of a bed pan. It is a crowd-stopper alright (might take that question "what instrument is that" to a new dimension), and should be ideal for Blues.

But it's not bad for that lighthearted jig either, especially the way you play it - Good one!

Bertram
  10. KeithMcIsaac
    KeithMcIsaac
    Thanks Bertram. The commodium is a great and bizarre instrument.
  11. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    Man I love that reso-mando! Sounds great! Here's my take. Merrily Kissed The Quaker's Wife I almost didn't post this because it's so inferior.

Chris
  12. Kyle Baker
    Kyle Baker
    One of my favorite tunes!
    Here is a video I recorded a while ago.
    My zouk is tuned GDAD and I capo the 5'th fret.

13. Eddie Sheehy
    A slight variation... this time on a FYLDE Long Scale Arched Top Bouzouki
    (26" scale).
  14. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Eddie, I love the roar of that beast you're playing.

Here's my attempt.

15. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    What a cool thread so far... 3 bouzouki's, an OM, a resonator mandolin and a tenor guitar!
  16. Kyle Baker
    Kyle Baker
    yes, this thread is shaping up to be something special
    My session group plays it in a set with Calliope house (also in the key of G). What do others play it in sets with? I find that tune is fairly versatile and can go along with many other tunes.

And Eddie, I love that Flyde long scale zouk!! It looks like it has a nice big body on it
  17. Eddie Sheehy
    I play it with The Kesh, as does Bertram. And yes, It has a body like mine - without the long neck.
  18. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Eddie, from the sound of that 26" Fylde I'll say it hasn't completely opened up yet. The distant thunder we hear now is nothing compared to the bark it will develop one or two years from now. Or, as the donkey says in "Shrek": "I have a dragon here and I know how to use it!"

Bertram
  19. Eddie Sheehy
    The previous owner used paper-thin picks - like John Doyle. I prefer my heavy medieval picks to bring out the pain...
  20. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    "What a cool thread so far... 3 bouzouki's, an OM, a resonator mandolin and a tenor guitar!"

And one lonely little F-style.
  21. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Chris, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to leave you out! As always, your submissions are so right on... even on the ones you aren't pleased with! To my ears, you've completely captured the essence of this tune! You are picking DUD DUD, aren't you? As far are the title, I've seen it as both Merrily Kissed the Quaker, and Merrily Kissed the Quaker's Wife!
  22. Kyle Baker
    Kyle Baker
    Since I enjoy this tune so much, I decided to record it again on my Tenor banjo. I tried my best to throw in as many triplets as I could.
    I tune my banjo GDAD, just like my bouzouki.

23. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Kyle~ Last night I was thinking this thread needed a TB... and even started working on it, but you've beat me to the punch! So, you've got your TB capo'd I see. I've never tried capoing mine... I tune mine GDAE like an OM...
  24. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Chris Travers - that sounded just fine on your lonely little F-style, well done!

Eddie that Flyde is only MIGHTY sounding!

David - Looks like you nicked Liam Clancy's hat when he wasn't looking! This tune sounds lovely on your tenor..

Kyle - lovely version on the banjo there - I also liked the cameo of your dog's tail at the beginning of the tune!
  25. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I liked the dogs coming in toward the end of Kyle's first submission... it almost looked like they were thinking about dancin!
  26. Kyle Baker
    Kyle Baker
    Ya, I have two basset hounds... they like Irish music haha
  27. Eddie Sheehy
    RoverDance?
  28. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Eddie, haha!
  29. Daci
    Daci
    That would go very nice with the Kesh...Good playing ya'll.
  30. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    Here is my take on this, yet another tune I learned years ago on whistle (I seem to be playing catch-up with the mandolin...). Sorry, I'm playing a boring old regular mandolin.

Took WAY too many takes, and it's not perfect, but I got impatient, so here it is.

Dana
  31. Kyle Baker
    Kyle Baker
    Wow Dana! Well played! I love how you are hitting chords in the melody, it sounds really nice.
  32. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Sod perfection, that still sounded lovely Dana!
  33. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    Kyle and Jill, thanks for the kind words.
    Kyle, "chords in the melody" are mostly just double stops, real (reel?) easy in a tune like this in G.
  34. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    It has that ring to it, Dana, that's the main thing. Without it, perfection would be useless. Perfection is a by-product of focusing after a nice long sleep and a few days off work - none of us gets that every time. I have those "tales of 1001 takes" myself.

I guess you placed those double stops where I do mine, the tune just seems to suggest them.

Bertram
  35. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
  36. Ptarmi
    Ptarmi
    OK ... How about the Four Part version of this Slide!

37. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    X: 2
    T:Merrily Kiss the Quaker's Wife
    T:Merrily Dance the Quaker
    R:slide
    Z:Boston
    M:12/8
    L:1/8
    K:G
    |:D|GAB D2B c2A BGE|GAB DEG ~A3 A2D|
    GAB D2B c2A BGE|GAB D2E G3 G2:|
    |:c|BGG AGG BGG AGE|GAB DEG A3 AGA|
    BGG AGG BGG AGE|GAB D2E G3 G2:|
    |:d|~g3 aga bge dBd|~g3 gab ~a3 aba|
    gbg faf ege dBA|GAB D2E G3 G2:|
  38. Toycona
    Toycona
    Eddie, I really liked the alternative rhythm of the song. And that 4th part on Ptarmi's was cool too!
  39. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
  40. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    So many great versions of a great tune, I'm struggling with time this weekend so I'll try and have a bash tonight after work. Fantastic everyone.
  41. Eddie Sheehy
    I threw Merrily together with The Kesh as a warm-up... I had intended to add Banish Misfortune at the end but screwed up...
    On a Dio Dinos Bouzouki(flatback) tuned GDAD

42. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    Rockin' Eddie. Nicely done!
  43. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Whoa Eddie, you must have practised this so much you even forgot to shave...
  44. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    Eddie, tell me a bit about your Dio Dinos bouzouki. I haven't seen anything like it. Where did you get it? Is that shamrocks?
  45. Eddie Sheehy
    Dio Dinos (Dino Bersis) is a Greek Bouzouki maker in the USA. He has made instruments for Alec Finn of De Dannan - curved back guitar and trichordo (3-course) Bouzouki. My bouzouki is a 4-course 'Irish Flat-Back Bouzouki' that he custom built as a gift for a guy named Kelly Flynn - his initials are inlaid on the truss-rod cover. Unfortulately Mr. Flynn is a guitar player with no aspirations towards the bouzouki so he put it on Ebay. The back and sides are African Rosewood, Spruce top, Ebony fretboard. Lots of MOP/Abalone - Lily fret markers, Shamrocks, MOP binding... 27" scale and narrow neck (with a truss rod) make it a dead-ringer for a Greek Zouk. Dio Dinos is renowned for his MOP/Abalone ornamentation and this instrument is not lacking in that respect. Actually it's his work with the MOP and Abalone dust which forced him to quit New York and move to a healthier climate for his lungs. The bass strings are tuned in unison and I'm tempted to 'Octave' them for an increase in jangliness.. Here's a link to some more info:
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...Dinos-bouzouki
  46. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    Well, Eddy, I think it is the most Irish bouzouki I have seen.
    I am rather partial to the octave strung sound but your instrument has a pretty fine sound as it is.
    If you take the notion to put up a few more pictures of it I am sure others as well as I would be interested to see all the inlays up close.
  47. Eddie Sheehy
    They're in my Photo Album for Zouks and OM's:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?albumid=99
  48. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    Nice!
  49. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    I love those two tunes ... strung nicely together for a real holiday and upbeat feel. Thanks, Eddie.