Week #136 ~ Northern Lights of Old Aberdeen

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is a waltz, Northern Lights of Old Aderdeen. I'm not familiar with this tune.

I found these ABC's on thesession.org

X: 1
    T: Northern Lights Of Old Aberdeen, The
    M: 3/4
    L: 1/8
    R: waltz
    K: Cmaj
    G2 | G2 E2 F2 | G4 G2 | c2 B2 A2 | G6 | F2 G2 F2 | E4 D2 | G6 | G4 G2 |
    G4 E2 | G4 G2 | c2 B2 A2 | G6 | F2 G2 F2 | E4 D2 | C6 | C4 G2 |
    A2 F2 A2 | c2 B2 A2 | G6 | G4 G2 | A2 F2 A2 | c2 B2 A2 | B6 | B4 G2 |
    G2 G2 E2 | G4 G2 | c2 B2 A2 | G6 | F2 G2 F2 | E2 E2 D2 | C6 | C4 G2 |
    C4 C2 | E4 E2 | D2 C2 D2 | C4 G2 | A4 A2 | F2 G2 A2 | G6 | G4 G2 |
    A4 A2 | F4 A2 | G4 E2 | D4 C2 | D4 D2 | E4 C2 | G6 | G4 G2 |
    C4 C2 | E4 E2 | D2 C2 D2 | C4 G2 | A4 A2 | F2 G2 A2 | G6 | G4 G2 |
    A4 F2 | c4 A2 | G4 E2 | c4 c2 | c4 A2 | B4 c2 | c6 | c4 |]

This is apparently a song... here are lyics:

When I was a lad, a tiny wee lad, my mother said to me,
    "Come see the Northern Lights my boy, they're bright as they can be."
    She called them the heavenly dancers, merry dancers in the sky,
    I'll never forget that wonderful sight, they made the heavens bright.

Chorus:
    The Northern Lights of Aberdeen are what I long to see;
    The Northern Lights of Aberdeen, that's where I long to be.
    I've been a wand'rer all of my life and many a sight I've seen.
    God speed the day when I'm on my way to my home in Aberdeen.

I've wandered in many far-off lands, and travelled many a mile,
    I've missed the folk I've cherished most, the joy of a friendly smile.
    It warms up the heart of the wand'rer the clasp of a welcoming hand.
    To greet me when I return, home to my native land.

Chorus:
  2. Eddie Sheehy
    My mammy used to sing this to me when I was a wee lad... still moistens the lacrimal glands...

3. neil argonaut
    neil argonaut
    Yes, it's a song, and here in Scotland it's reasonably well known; I can remember it being sung at family gatherings when I was younger (though I'm sure the first line of the chorus they sang was "the northern lights of old aberdeen mean home sweet home to me".
    Eddie, fantastic version to kick things off, great arrangement and sound, I've just listened to it three times in a row.
  4. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    Well done Eddy. I love that sound.
  5. AaronVW
    AaronVW
    Great job, Eddie. Is that a pickup in the sound hole of your instrument? Thanks for starting us off so nicely!
  6. Eddie Sheehy
    Neil: "The Northern Lights of Old Aberdeen mean home sweet home to me" that's the way I remember it too..
    Jim: Thank you.
    Aaron: Yes it is and it works too... great at the Contra Dances...
  7. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Beautiful job and what a nice picking pattern you've got going on this one.
  8. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Beautiful, Eddie
  9. richardoxley2
    richardoxley2
    HI folks I haven't been around because I have been unwell I have been diagnosed with Oesophageal Cancer and I am facing a major operation or chemo and radio therapy or both so not feeling too happy. I am still trying to play and if i can I will put something up. ON the up side That sounds great Eddie
  10. Blue Ghost
    Blue Ghost
    My prayers and good wishes go out to you, my friend. Be strong and optimistic, that's the best medicine you can give yourself to help your doctors.
  11. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Richard I am so saddened to hear of your illness and have said a prayer for you. Great strides have been made in cancer treatment in the last thirty years. Keep your chin up. I look forward to hearing of more of your picking.

Eddie, super duper as always!
  12. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Richard, we'll all be thinking of you and praying for you in the upcoming months. Definitely keep playing that gorgeous resonator octave. I think this will also be good medicine.

Exquisite arrangement, Eddie. I second the praise of your fine picking pattern. It's a lovely song.
  13. Mike O'Connell
    Mike O'Connell
    Richard - I too am saddened to hear about your diagnoses. I commend you for sharing your condition with this group. Even though most of us have never met we still enjoy a level of friendship that wants only the best for each other and especially you at this most difficult time. You will be in my thoughts and prayers in the weeks and months to come. Please keep us posted. There is a lot of positive energy in this group.
  14. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Interesting and well-played offering there, Eddie. I too agree with Neil and yourself that the chorus first line is "The northern lights of old Aberdeen mean home sweet home to me". I believe this is one of those songs that has entered our heritage and become a standard though it may have been written by someone in London who had never been anywhere near Aberdeen. But I await correction and discussion on this!

Richard, so sorry to hear of your present condition. I enjoy your contributions in the group and look forward to your continuing to be able to post. My thoughts, and those of all in this group, are with you and it is great that you are still playing as and when you can. Here's to a positive prognosis.
  15. neil argonaut
    neil argonaut
    Richard, sorry to hear that and all the best for the treatment
  16. Toycona
    Toycona
    Beautiful...
  17. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Richard, My thoughts are with you during this trying time in your life! Music does wonders.... even on the days that you don't feel much like playing it, I'm sure just listening to it will bring you pleasure....
  18. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Richard- so sorry to hear your news. Chemo or radio therapy is going to be unpleasant but it can work-so keep your spirits up.
    This slow tune is a perfect first outing for my mandocello conversion. It used to be an old Voss archtop guitar until I added two extra tuners and a mandolin tailpiece and strung it with Daddario mandocello strings.

19. neil argonaut
    neil argonaut
    Right, seeing as there's not many versions been posted up this week, and being from Scotland I feel like I really should put something up, and seeing as I'm never gonna approach Eddie's version for an instrumental, I've decided to attempt a vocal/mando version

Don't worry, I'll be back to strictly mandolin next week.
  20. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Neil, that was great!!!!
  21. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Excellent, Neil! Your vocals were perfect for this beautiful song. I was curious how it would sound with the lyrics. I'm really impressed with the smooth chording too. I'm still working on that.

Cool mandocello MM. What a fun idea.

Barbara, the profile pic is in the works.
  22. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Marcelyn, while listening to Neil's, I was hoping that since you have such a lovely voice, that you'd do one with singing too!
  23. laura809
    laura809
    Eddie, that was a beautiful arrangement. Richard, I was sad to hear about your diagnosis. Try to stay strong and have a positive outlook. Maudlin, I enjoyed hearing you play the mandocello. Neil, I am happy you chose to do a vocal version. I listened to a few on youtube to try to get a better feel for the song, but most of them were huge arrangements. You did a great job playing and singing at the same time.
    I got a late start this week. We had a terrible wind storm last weekend that took out power and internet for a few days. I didn't get much time to work on this, but I am happy I managed to get a version recorded.
  24. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Those double stops and the tremolo are gorgeous Laura.

Barbara, you're so nice. I'm worried that if my authentic Scottish accent showed Neil up, he'd never sing for us again. You know, John Kelly hasn't sung since I offered him pointers on his dialect either. It would be fun to hear his take on this one.
  25. neil argonaut
    neil argonaut
    Laura, that was fantastic; funnily enough here in scotland we had the worst wind storm in years this week, and I couldn't record earlier in the week just because of the noise of it. Marcelyn, thanks, but I feel I've got a bit of an unfair advantage with this song due to living my whole life in scotland; even if i try to sing a bill monroe song or something it's still gonna sound like that.
  26. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Laura, that was perfect! I remember that you are a guitar player... is that you playing the guitar on the rhythm track? What chords are you guys using? Laura... did you lock your kids in the closet, or what?
  27. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Too true, but now you've got to do Bill Monroe for us, Neil. There's no getting out of it.
  28. neil argonaut
    neil argonaut
    Maybe it's that that tipped the balance in favour of the jig in this weeks poll!
  29. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Very beautiful Laura! Nice composition, I still can't figure out how to play this in a nice way. Now I have some new inspiration. Richard, I don't exactly know what to say, but I hope all the nice words from here and the music help you through this difficult time.
  30. laura809
    laura809
    Barbara, I found this arrangement that included the chords.
    http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/ir...d_aberdeen.htm

I was lucky enough to record while the kids were at school. My son was home sick, but it's much easier to keep just one of them quiet.
  31. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    This is a new tune to me. Does kinda mist my eyes a bit. Everyone's versions are really nicely done. Neil, you have quite a good voice. It's very relaxed and soulful. Hope you sing some more. I'm sure listening to good music is one of the best things you can do, Richard, during this challenging time. You'll be in my best thoughts and prayers. Thanks for letting folks know.