new build on the horizon!

1. Mike Thomas
    Mike Thomas
    I'm in line for a Campanella build this fall. I'm thinking of an A440 oval hole, dialed in for Thomastick Stark strings. Hopefully I'll be so enthralled I'll sell my 1915 A-3 and get back in line for a Due. I love the look and sound of these mandos.
  2. nobullmando74
    nobullmando74
    Mike, I'm also on Joe's list for my build starting in the fall. I am having him make an F with Adi top and Red Maple back and sides. I wonder if he is going to make a oval F style in the future. That would be an awesome look IMO. Be sure to post your pics when you get them from Joe.
  3. Mandobar
    Mandobar
    I have no patience to wait anymore. I bought an A Joe had on hand.
  4. Mike Thomas
    Mike Thomas
    More details, please! Have you recieved it yet? What are the woods? Any chance of mp3's? I have started leaning towards the a-440, but still have some time to decide. Did Joe have more than one available? Was the cost the same? Any further customization beyond what ha already been done? And please, please post photos?

Thanks, and hearty congrats,
    Mike T.
  5. Mandobar
    Mandobar
  6. Jonas
    Jonas
    Hi group! Just found this group, not as frequent at the café lately due to a daughter being born and a few other things. I'm glad more people are discovering the Campanellas, they are great mandolins. I love mine
  7. Mike Thomas
    Mike Thomas
    Jonas, which varnish finish did you get, spirit or oil varnish? How do you like it?
  8. Mike Thomas
    Mike Thomas
    Mandobar, I understand you also have a really sweet Collings MT2. Care to offr a comparison between the Collings and your Campanella?
  9. Galimando
    Galimando
    Yeah, Mandobar – a comparison would be great! What kind do you have, and how is yours braced?
  10. Jonas
    Jonas
    I have an oil varnish I believe. Didn't know Joe used spirit varnish? Anyway I love it endlessly, it's the best purchase I've ever made all categories.
  11. Mike Thomas
    Mike Thomas
    Woods have been selected! European Spruce and book matched Red Maple with a nice open figure. This is going to be one sweet oval hole!
  12. nobullmando74
    nobullmando74
    awesome mike, so you're going with the a440, can't wait to see some pics.
  13. nobullmando74
    nobullmando74
    looking sweet Mike. I was stunned to see that F campanella in the classifieds. At least they want another.
  14. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Joe's mandolins offer amazing quality/tone for the $. Plus they look so cool with all the violin touches. I have a Dué I bought used. Great mandolin.
  15. nobullmando74
    nobullmando74
    Don, where did you picked up the used Dué? I am getting really excited, Joe should be starting my F soon, :D
  16. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    I got it off the cafe classifieds a few years ago. It was on there for awhile. I finally succumbed and I'm glad I did.
  17. Mike Thomas
    Mike Thomas
    Neck getting carved today. 3/32" at the nut, with a modified keel cross section. Closer and closer!
  18. Mike Thomas
    Mike Thomas
    Oops
  19. Mike Thomas
    Mike Thomas
    Last coat of varnish on and drying!
    Wait for it...wait for it!
  20. nobullmando74
    nobullmando74
    Mike, I got a email from Joe today showing me the top to my mando build...drool...Now I have to choose from 4 one piece backs he emailed me for consideration. Ooof! They all are excellent in their own way. Did he send you the final photos yet? Matt
  21. Galimando
    Galimando
    I got an oval hole A from Joe this past fall and it's just an amazing instrument. You guys who are waiting are in for a treat!
  22. nobullmando74
    nobullmando74
    Galimando, Have you posted photos of your 440? if not I would love to see them, Matthew
  23. Galimando
    Galimando
    I haven't, but Joe said he was going to put photos of it up on his site once it's relaunched (I was waiting on that). Picking out the wood's fun, isn't it?
  24. nobullmando74
    nobullmando74
    It was, My heart started beating faster when I saw the email from Joe in my inbox. Seeing the blocks of maple to choose from was exciting not to mention the expertly joined top.