Happy Hackbrett

1. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    Happy Hackbrett has an interesting story. A Kansas City, Missorian, Lou Bothenberg, back in the 1970s, was asked to compose a clogging tune for the dance group he was a member of and/or played hammered dulcimer for. This is the tune he composed. Lou was one of the unfortunate dozen or so New Year's Eve revelers who perished in the lobby of the Hyatt Regency Hotel when the walkway collapsed in 1979.

I learned this tune from Phil Vernon, a hammered dulcimer player and builder friend of mine back in the mid 1980s. Phil learned it from an issue of the Dulcimer Player's News..

Hackbrett is German for the cutting board most folks have in their kitchens. It's also a slang term for the hammered dulcimer.

2. Eddie Sheehy
    Really gets the foot tapping.... then stomping... Yee-Haw! Has nice German Beerfest feel to it too. All-in-all my kind of tune...
  3. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    That's a cool tune, any chance of notation or TAB?
  4. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    Definitely a toe tapper! You should hear under the hammers of a skillful hammered dulcimer player.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any notation or tab.
  5. billkilpatrick
    great tune, joe - thanks for posting it.
  6. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Joe, it is a great tune, and it seems to be one that won't be TOO hard to learn by ear..... will just have to listed to it more!