Irish traditional mandolin workshop in October

1. liestman
    liestman
    At the end of October, the O'Flaherty Irish Music Retreat, near Dallas, will feature a 3 day workshop in how to play mandolin in a traditional Irish style. The workshop will be taught by, well, me. I have gone to this retreat as a student (uilleann pipes) for years and it is a truly excellent gathering for improving your playing and learning "the style". Please check it out, for mandolin or whatever floats your boat.

http://www.oflahertyretreat.org/
  2. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Thanks for posting! I'll certainly mark this on MY calendar!
  3. KennyK5008
    KennyK5008
    This is a great place to learn and hear Irish music. This will be my third year to go. I will pass on the two most important thing you can learn at this Retreat.
    1. "If it taint got words, it's a TUNE not a Song!"
    2. "No matter how good you think you are, some place in Ireland there is a 12 year old that will play your pants off!"

Ken
  4. liestman
    liestman
    I assure any prospective attendees that at least my pants will remain in place during all workshops. What happens with Ken's pants are beyond my control.
  5. Chris Hasty
    Chris Hasty
    Already registered. This is my first year to get to go and I'm excited.

John, I'm sorry to say that I'll be attending the Dave Corey workshops for Tenor Banjo but I will be sure to stop by and say hello.
  6. liestman
    liestman
    Just a quick bump on this to my fellow Texans for this workshop coming up toward the end of this month. Still some room left in the workshop, which will cover how to take a basic "as written" tune and play it with proper style, decoration, and rhythm. See the link at the top of this thread.
  7. Chris Hasty
    Chris Hasty
    You bringing the BBQ mandolin or did you sell it? I'd love to see a mesquite mandolin.
  8. liestman
    liestman
    Yes, I will have it with me. I decided not to sell it and now, when I play it, I don't know what I was thinking. I need to sell my Gibson instead and keep the Old Wave for sure.
  9. Chris Hasty
    Chris Hasty
    Awesome to hear! I will have to look you up for sure, I've been considering an Old Wave but never seen one in person. I'll bring an extra $20.00 in case you decide to sell it to me...
  10. liestman
    liestman
    Cool. Old Waves are very nice, mine being a bit different from the norm with the unusual woods. If it were for sale, which its not, the price is fine but you put the decimal in the middle instead of on the right side ;-)
  11. Chris Hasty
    Chris Hasty
    LOL! I figured as much.
  12. Chris Hasty
    Chris Hasty
    John, wanted to tell you that you got rave reviews for your class. You stole away all the tenor banjo players from our class to yours, no mean feat in itself!

If anyone has an opportunity to take a class from John in the future, I would highly recommend it based on feedback from my friends. I know I will.
  13. liestman
    liestman
    Thanks for the kind words Hastyman.

Hope you enjoyed the Mandolin Tasting event. That was a weird opportunity!
  14. Chris Hasty
    Chris Hasty
    It was an awesome opportunity! I got to play around on mando's I've only heard people talk about. Loved your Sobell and Old Wave, and the old Vega Cylinder back was a treat as well! Kudos to you for making that possible.

- Chris
  15. liestman
    liestman
    I want to let my Texas buddies know that I will be the mandolin teacher again this October at the O'Flaherty Irish Music Retreat. I am looking forward to it already and need to work up a bunch of new stuff to teach. And prepare the Mandolin AND Tenor Banjo Tasting Event II!!! Hope some of you can make it!