Pickup

1. Japhy
    Japhy
    What about this pickup for octave mandolin? Any one use this or have any suggestions? Thanks!

http://www.bluestarmusic.com/McIntyr...ckup-P766.aspx
  2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Don't know that particular one but I did fit a MacIntyre Feather p/u into a mandolin I built for someone in 2007 and he seems very happy with it. I fitted it as part of the build so it was easy to place it just where we wanted it and then glue in some bandage over it as extra security.
  3. Japhy
    Japhy
    well bummer. I just received my K&K Twin Spot pickup only to discover I can't get my hand far enough into the octave mandolin to install it. Any Ideas?
  4. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Hi Japhy, this was why I asked my customer if he wanted the p/u before the mandolin was anywhere near assembled - not an option in your case as your instrument is already fully formed! One possibility is to make up a tool with stiff wire - a coat-hanger is quite good and at one end drill and glue on a small block of wood or perspex or some other rigid material. On to this put some Blu-Tack (don't know what it's called in the USA but it's that stuff like putty you use to attach pictures to the wall, etc). Bend the wire to a suitable shape so that you can insert the block into your instrument and manipulate the p/u into place, then put your K & K p/u up on to the block, with just enough pressure to hold it. Do a trial run or two and when you are happy then apply some superglue (probably medium) to the p/u and place it against the soundboard where you have decided you want it; hold it firmly in place till the glue sets then remove the tool with the Blu-tack, leaving the p/u attached. If you place a finger on the outside of the soundboard where you want the p/u to be, this is a remarkably good guide to getting the p/u into the right place under the board.
    I await others' suggestions to add to my learning curve.
  5. Japhy
    Japhy
    Well I got it installed. And thanks for your advice John. I reached in and found a good clean spot with my finger tips and that's where I mounted the pickups. I'm sure there is probably a sweeter spot in there somewhere but that's where they're staying. For now anyway. Ran through a Fishman pre-amp and it sounds pretty good. I didn't break anything so I'm pretty happy with that. Thanks again.
  6. Ray(T)
    Ray(T)
    I have a MacIntyre Feather in my Holoubek mandolin. It was fitted by the chap who used to manage TAMCO's shop around 10 years ago (i.e. not Trevor). Quite how he did it I' not sure but the mandolin version of the pickup does come with fitting instructions and talks you through things using baling wire and a metal coat hanger. I expect you'll find the instructions on the MacIntyre web site but, if not, PM me your email address and I'll see what I can do.

The MacIntyre does need a pre-amp - they recommend the Baggs PADI.