The Loar 400

1. Ken Scarbrough
    Ken Scarbrough
    I am new to this group and I have been learning to play on my Kentucky KM 505. While I do like the kentucky, I found that what I would prefer would be a mandolin with larger frets. I understand that The Loar mandolins have banjo frets. I would like to hear from some of you, your thoughts on the 400. I live in an area where online purchase is my only option so I cant play before I pay. How does the 400 stand up to the 600 models? I dont have any scroll envy yet but I would like to get the easiest playing and best sounding one from the bunch. Thanks in advance for your help.

Ken
  2. Nick Gellie
    Nick Gellie
    Hi Ken

You may have already made a decision on this one. It all depends on what sort of tone you are seeking in a mandolin, as well as the playability of it. The Loar LM-400 mandolin seems to have mostly good reviews. If you are seeking one with the scroll with less bassy response, I would suggest getting the used LM-600 mandolin in the classifieds. It has a wider nut than the LM-400, ~13/16" if you prefer more space on the fretboard. It is also pretty good value. I checked it out and the owner has looked after it.

Cheers

Nic