Chris is great (And backs his creations)

1. Billgrass
    Billgrass
    I just wanted to post a shout out as I am VERY impressed with Chris' commitment to support his owners.

I had a minimal finish issue develop on #54's neck, and I wrote him about it to ask his advice. Chris was all over it. Responded immediately, asked for pictures, looked at them and got back to me in a matter of minutes. He made a very generous offer to take care of it even though it is really minor.

You might be saying to yourself, "Heck, yeah. he should."

Well that's true, except for one little detail: I am the second owner and have no warranty!

This is really written for anyone researching Stanleys. Chris gets two thumbs "way up" as Ebert would say.
  2. Mike Bunting
    That's good to hear.
  3. dan in va
    dan in va
    Your situation is just typical of how serious Chris is about quality, and my experience is similar to yours.

When the A (pictured on the social group page) he built for me was in the varnish process, he found a very short check (less than 1/4") in the back that was against the grain, near the tailblock. It could only be seen once polished and couldn't be seen in the pics he was taking during the build. Even though he was sure it was stable and already in the board before he started and could only be seen when finished, he said it would bother him if it was his own personal mandolin, so he took off that back, made a new one, and completed it. I wonder how many builders would simply fill it and no one would be the wiser.