Video Editing help needed!

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    First of all, Bill, don't tell me to get a Mac!

I have a several year old PC with XP, which is updated. For some reason, when trying to use Windows Movie Maker to edit my videos, it crashes and shuts down.

I'm able to do basic stuff on the computer, and am not a total dummy, just a partial dummy! I like my programs easy to understand.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a free video editing program I can download from the internet, that's simple to use? Okay, it doesn't even have to be free, just affordable, and easy to use? I really just would like to trim off the beginnings and ends, and maybe put a caption on the videos that I'm making. I'm videoing now with a camera that puts it on an SD card, and I transfer to my computer via the mini-usb cord that comes with the camera.

Thanks!
  2. Eddie Sheehy
    I used to have this problem with Roxio. I had to download and install more recent Graphics Drivers for my graphics Card. Do you knowwhat type of graphics card you have - Nvidia, AST etc? Or is it an on-board graphics adapter? I can help you find out if you don't know...
    To the brave and the faithful nothing is impossible...
  3. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Eddie, I'm pretty clueless!
  4. beepu
    beepu
    It's not free, but Vegas Movie Studio 9 ($55, made by Sony) is crazy easy to use and quite powerful. Well, I've only ever used the Pro version (and this was a couple years ago!), but from the screenshot it looks identical. //bob
  5. billkilpatrick
    bob - i've installed the "downloadhelper" attachment from firefox but chris's vimeo videos still look and sound as if they've been edited by a sushi chef. youtube videos seem to appear faster but no improvement with vimeo ... which is a real shame as i'm dying to tell barbara to get a mac ...

btw - sooo glad you joined this group - be prepared for questions posed by people who don't read the manual to those who do ...
  6. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    You know, I LIKE to read the user manuals and directions, it just seems, these days, that they are either non-existant, or impossible to understand! I did a search online, found something called Avidemux and downloaded it. Seems like it will do what I want (at least, clip the beginning and end of the video clip), but as far as I could find, NO directions, so once I clipped the clip, I didn't know what to do! Like I said, I'm pretty clueless when it comes to encoding, decoding, etc., and what that all means! I need something with directions that assumes you know NOTHING! I'm not wanting to do much with it... Thanks!
  7. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    It's possible you picked up a virus. Have you scanned your computer lately? Do you have Norton Anti-Virus software installed? Or, it might be you just have to reinstall MovieMaker.
  8. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I'm up to date on my virus protection. I went to a windows message board, where someone discussed this problem, and someone suggested that it was something that had to do with a 'clash' between the newest version of Windows Media Player. I would re-install Movie Maker, if I had a clue. I went to the Windows site, and to download it, it says click here, and you get it included with the newest update of XP. I've got my computer set to automatically download and install those updates from Windows, and it said I already had that. So... like I said, I'm clueless. I don't have an idea how to uninstall and reinstall something that came on my computer.
  9. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    You aren't going to like this but...

Get a MAC! :^)
  10. ChrisStewart
    ChrisStewart
    I have never tried windows movie maker so I started the program and it immediately crashed. My conclusion is that (like most MS product) it is junk.

YouTube allows you to add annotations to videos directly in YouTube (but not change the length)

I have Roxio media creator and really don't like it much so I recommend not buying it. -other than that I don't have any good recommendations.
  11. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    You know, it's hardly worth all the effort. I went to Windows Help, and followed whatever till I got to a user group, and found someone that suggested going to Tools, Options, and disable various filters. I did, and am able to work in Movie Maker without crashing. I actually HAVE used a video editing program last year, so I'm a little familiar with what I'm supposed to do, and how it behaved last year when I edited some video that was taped on one of those mini DV (or whatever they were called) cameras that uses a little tape cassette. The one I'm using now, records to an SD card. Anyway, it isn't crashing, but isn't working right. If I try to trim off the beginning, it removes ALL the video, but the audio is still there. Like I said, not worth the effort! All this time I could be practicing, instead of trying to clip off 2 seconds from a video clip!
  12. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    There is a piece of software called Camtasia (http://www.techsmith.com/camtasia.asp) that's supposed to be pretty good. It's not free but it's not terribly pricey, either. Might want to check it out if you're not willin' to visit the Apple store out there in the Des Moines area. They do have a really good buy on a low end Macbook. You might even get an iTouch with the purchase.
  13. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    My daughter has a Macbook, and I my son recently bought a Mac for his music editing (so, I have PAID for two Mac's haha!) I am probably due to get a NEW computer, as this one is several years old (and computers are now disposable items, right?) What scares me about a Mac, is having to learn everything over again... you know about old dogs (and their female counterparts ) and new tricks... I'm trying to use all my 'learning' brain cells for learning MUSIC! Heck, I bought one of those external hard drives several months ago, to put all my very important stuff (photos and genealogy research) on, and it's still in the wrapper! There are only so many hours in the day, and I've already given up housework, and am glad I planted perinneals in my garden all these years!
  14. Tracy Ballinger
    Tracy Ballinger
    Quote Barbara: "There are only so many hours in the day, and I've already given up housework, and am glad I planted perinneals in my garden all these years!"

15. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    It's a lot easier than you may think. You've got built in support, perennials in the garden, given up housework, and usin' all remaining brain cells for learning MUSIC! Continue to be kind to yourself, Barb. Get a Mac. You'll be glad you did. I'm an old dog, too, and I've learned both Mac and PC, graphic design, video editing, Photoshop, Illustrator, HTML, working on a Masters in Instructional Design and Technology, the list goes on...I'm willin' to bet dollars to donuts you can learn how to use a Mac.
  16. ChrisStewart
    ChrisStewart
    Both operating systems use the same basic approach to human interface the differences are relatively superficial. The Mac benefits from being a more highly controlled environment where windows is a bit of a free for all.

I would use Mac but my drafting software is Windows based and other than video/sound editing don't have any particular problems with it.

Unless someone is in the market for a new computer anyway I would say it is probably not worth the expense to switch, I think you can find stable programs to edit video you just might have to do a bit of research (like you are doing) -many programs these days offer trial versions.

Before I went to the expense of switching computers/operating systems I would reformat my hard drive and reinstall windows. But then again I am a bit of a tight wad when it comes to spending money on computers.
  17. Eddie Sheehy
    In the KESH JIG thread you will notice my clip is actually 3 clips combined - which I trimmed with the Video Cam Software - Sony somethingorother - I tried using the Videocam software but it only wanted to create a dvd, so I tried Roxio and it created a directory with 3 clips in it. Finally I used Windows Movie maker and it worked - but again it took blood, sweat, and tears and time away from my playing...
  18. ChrisStewart
    ChrisStewart
    here is an article on free video editing software -their favorite is from Pinnacle

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2329226,00.asp
  19. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Barbara - for years I pestered my friend and former bandmate Pat, to get a Mac - he'd been struggling along with a PC that crashed continually, a nightmare for him as he had tons of recording software on it. When he finally took the leap of faith and got a Mac the first thing he said to me was "Why didn't I do this years ago??"
  20. HddnKat
    HddnKat
    Barbara - first of all, is your camera one of those 'straight to DVD' cams - if so, the CODEC on the camera is making the video too compressed for the computer to edit. If that's not it, how much RAM do you have? You need at least 512 Mb to edit 30 minutes. Also, how full is your hard drive? If it doesn't have enough free space, try deleting all the temporary Internet files and the contents of your trash bin. If it's still pretty full, get you an external hard drive, and use that for the working file location of your video editing - that will help alot. If Windows Movie Maker still is being a butthead, try downloading CamStudio (It's the free version of Camtasia - not as high end, but still adequate). - PM me if you need more troubleshooting help - this is what I do for my day job.