Winter Winds (Sandy Denny)

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I've just posted this song over in the Song-A-Week group, and as it's based around a tenor guitar riff, I thought it might be of interest here, too -- apologies to those who see this twice.

In the week that snow has finally hit the UK, it seemed appropriate to play a wintry song, and this one is a long-time favourite.

A short and very atmospheric song written by Sandy Denny, originally recorded with her short-lived band "Fotheringay" on their self-titled 1970 album -- an album I used to obsess about for years, and possibly her best work. Not to be confused with the completely unrelated Mumford & Sons song of the same name.

My version follows the arrangement in "The Complete Sandy Denny Songbook" by Maartin Allcock. The song is based on a really catchy arpeggio riff over the chord progression Dm-Gm-C-A-Dm. I'm playing the riff on tenor guitar in the verses. In the instrumental breaks, the tenor guitar switches to a double-stopped countermelody, with the arpeggio taken over by the mandolin (my Embergher bowlback). I'm playing the vocal melody in the verses on my Baroq-ulele (in mandolin tuning), as the tone seemed to fit with the olde-worldy wispiness of the song.

Sandy's words to the song are:

Winter winds they do blow cold,
    The time of year, it is chosen.
    Now the frost and fire,
    And now the sea is frozen.

He who sleeps he does not see
    The coming of the seasons,
    The filling of a dream
    Without a time to reason.

When she walked through evil
    O'er the paths of broken illusions,
    Carefully now she lives,
    For she has mended her confusion

[Up-dated video link in my next post below]

Martin
  2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Lovely arrangement once again, Martin. Your blending of instruments creates great atmosphere which always seems appropriate to the chosen melody.
  3. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Many thanks for the kind words, John. I tend to try a few configurations -- on this track I had the uke an octave higher originally, double-tracked with a mandolin tremolo over the melody. It only really came together when I dropped the uke by an octave.

I've just now fiddled with the mix a bit, to bring the tenor guitar arpeggio riff higher in the mix and the uke and mando lower. I think this is more balanced and plays to the strengths of the arrangement more -- if you've listened already, try the new mix too.

Martin