question for Mac users...

1. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Hey, any Mac users out there - when you're saving your clips do you choose "web" or "web streaming", and does either choice affect the quality of the clip. To date my clips are a bit pixelated looking and fuzzy, not sure where I'm going wrong...
  2. billkilpatrick
    jill - mac user here ... haven't the faintest idea what you're talking about but want to know ... please elaborate ...
  3. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    ditto to Bill. What application are you using?
  4. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I'm guessing that this question is about saving her videos that she is making with her iCamera...
  5. mikeyes
    mikeyes
    Jill,

What version of Imovie are you using? Each one seems to be a little different. I suspect that web streaming is higher resolution. I am using Imovies 09.
  6. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Ok, so I'm using an iSight camera to record videos using the iMovie program on my laptop. To upload them onto Youtube I have to change them into .mov format by going to File and scrolling down to "share" - when you click on share it gives you the option of different resolutions: web, web streaming, full resolution, CD-rom and something else. I messed about today a bit and web and web streaming both seem to be the same, resolution wise. Full resolution is just too big a file. I'm using iMovie HD 5.0.2.. The quality of the clips I record is great, if I'm watching them in iMovie they are crisp and clear - it's somewhere or somehow in the uploading to Youtube process that the quality and resolution seem to decline. I'm stumped...
  7. mikeyes
    mikeyes
    Jill, try manually moving them to youtube in the .mov form rather than relying on the Mac program to do it. I have a different version than you but my earlier version (when I had an earlier Mac) didn't even load to youtube so I just did it myself.

I suspect that the real problem is the kerfuncten resolution from your built in camera and the lighting judging from your youtube videos and not the resolution per se.
  8. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Jill I don't use iMovie I record directly to my Quicktime player so I don't have to change file formats. I don't know if that's an option for you but it works well for me.
  9. billkilpatrick
    video quality on youtube - audio and visual - isn't as crisp and clear as it might be on a ning.com site. on my videos you can even hear the spool of my ancient "canon" cam-corder grinding away. contrary to the adage: "it ain't what you say, it's the way you say it" - i quite like the unpolished, rough and ready aspect of youtube.
  10. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    I used the CD quality option. Some of the more web-friendly sounding options degrade the videos too much to suit me. I messed with a bunch of different options, including recording the audio on outboard gear and then synching it with video, but none of it makes much difference once YouTube gets hold of it. Some of the other services do appear to use compression the results in better looking and sounding videos that YouTube, but YouTube is the only sort of video you can embed here.
  11. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Thanks for the tips everyone! I'll try using the CD quality option (with better lighting!)