tuning mandolin

1. Kizmit
    Kizmit
    My Snark tuner arrived by mail yesterday and I was frustrated after tuning the G and D strings. Today I ended up going through and doing them all and it sounds great. I'm kind of disappointed because the metronome is silent. I figure your better off by stamping your foot.
  2. Pasha Alden
    Pasha Alden
    Hi Kizmit

This is interesting - a silent metronome?

Pleased you got the strings tuned at least.

Stamping your foot? <big smile> Nudge nudge wink wink...

Happy strumming mando friend!
  3. Kizmit
    Kizmit
    LOL
  4. Kizmit
    Kizmit
    Hi I was tuning my Mandolin and when I got to the A string the tuner would only register a true A if the strings were loose, my husband tried and it didn't work for him. when I first got the mandolin I had our friend put the new strings on it and tune it and I think he may have tightened the string too much. I am hoping that leaving it sit over night maybe the string will go back to normal or I will have to put the old ones back on.
  5. Kizmit
    Kizmit
    my husband tuned the A strings and it sounds great. so now it's happy strumming
  6. Pasha Alden
    Pasha Alden
    Hi Kizmit! Well, that is grand news! Pleased for you. I played live tonight and some people are sad to have missed me, they are mailing acoustic cafe to make me do another session in two weeks - so what am I doing, learning frantically to play new songs, have quite a little repertoir and of course practicing playing and singing. Will attempt to put my photos up tomorrow. Then they can be seen on my page!

May you experience the joy of playing the mandolin <big mando smily>
  7. Pasha Alden
    Pasha Alden
    Hi Kizmit, Two tips to help when tuning, one I learned myself only tonight: when tuning a string, and it is too tight, give it a pull, it normally releases some of that tension. Another trick I sometimes try is to deliberately flatten the string, that is tune it down. Then I slowly turn the peg up, slowly. I find that releases some tension on the string and I can get it tuned. I have a fear of a string snapping in my face. I learnt the first trick tonight when I was trying to tune my mandolin to concert pitch. A trifle higher. We had to tune it with an African musical instrument and it was also the right tuning for playing concerts. So there it is.

Happy strumming.
    Vanilla
  8. Kizmit
    Kizmit
    Hi Vanilla I will be among those who would like to hear you play. I would love to play a song. really any song. I am having trouble with my scales and strumming at the same time. I am truly a beginner. The G chord that I play sounds great. I have a group that I go to every Wednesday and they have been very supportive since I mentioned I wanted a mandolin. They are waiting for me to bring it into the group so they can hear me play. I think they are aware that it takes time.
  9. Pasha Alden
    Pasha Alden
    Hi Kizmit

I know the feeling - everybody waits for one - but they know we are beginners and that it takes time. Try if you can and make small movements with your pick, holding your right hand steady as steady as possible by planting perhaps the side of your thumb against the mandolin. Slowly play one note and as you do pluck the string with your pick, focusing on the string on which you are playing the scale. Do not be to fixed on getting the scale just right, perhaps just at first try and coordinate the plucking motion with fretting. Once you have got that coordinated set to in working on those scales - my thumbs are held tightly for you in support!

Vanilla