Mas.....i need help!!

1. PhilO
    PhilO
    Greetings to all,

As i just sold one of my instruments, I now have a small hole in my quiver, some $$ burning a hole in my pocket, scroll envy, and would like something to compliment my MT2V, which I think I am probably the third owner, and a wicked bad case of MAS.
    I am looking for opinions and comparisons of the SA Distressed F and the MT2V.
    I understand that we are probably talking apples and oranges here, but has anyone owned or played both of these and can offer me their thoughts? I have NEVER even seen a SA, but the reviews price value seems to be so good I am not sure I can help myself.
    I understand that MAS is a disease that, at least with medical science as it is, has no cure.
    Any help, professional or otherwise, will be GREATLY appreciated.
    I play a mix of BG, OT, Celtic and Old Folk (whatever that means).
    Thanking you all in advance......
  2. almeriastrings
    almeriastrings
    These are two very different sounding mandolins.

The Silverangel's have a very good low end. They certainly suit Celtic, OT and folk, more so in my opinion than the MT2V, but that is entirely subjective, and you really should hear them both. The MT2V is "cleaner" and some would say, more "clinical" than the Silverangel. Just depends what you are looking for. I use my Silverangel mostly for alternate tunings, where it very good indeed on things like "Get Up John" and "My Last Days on Earth". I think it also works well as a solo, unaccompanied mandolin. The reverse side of the coin is that it does not "cut" as well in a straight BG context as say, a Gibson F-5. That's just my take, anyway.
  3. PhilO
    PhilO
    Thank you......As i fish about the 'net, I am getting a much better read on this, and your opinion really does mirror some of the other things I am hearing.
    ....that being said, I could be blessed with two great instruments, with two distinct, but wonderful, sounds.

Thanks again.....
  4. Nick Gellie
    Nick Gellie
    If you listen to David Mold's videos on the Song a Week social, you will get a very good idea of how a SilverAngel mandolin sounds.

I have one (SilverAngel A-model), I love the sound of the mids and bass, the trebles don't cut as much as say a traditional Bluegrass instrument.

If you play lots of different music mine is tops. It is not bad at bluegrass and oldtime music as well.

They probably feel pretty easy to play but that usually goes with a well-made instrument.

All the best with your searching
  5. PhilO
    PhilO
    Hello NG53....

I have tried a "David Mold" search in the Tune group and I could not find it.
    Could you point me in the right direction?

Thank you.
  6. jamann
    jamann
    You can check David Mold by searching for oldsausage. I also have videos on Song of the Week club playing my x-braced distressed SA. I also owned a Collings MF that you can hear me playing that sounded great. I just sold it recently to purchase another distressed SA with tone bars. The best decision I ever made. I absolutely love the way it sounds and it plays easier than any I have and I have a bunch including a couple gibsons. You should definitely check into SA and consider tone bars for a more even tone. They are Bluegrass machines!
  7. PhilO
    PhilO
    Thank you, jamann.....
    Now I can at find what I was looking for....

......and now, just to find the time....
  8. almeriastrings
    almeriastrings
    The X-braced ones are amazingly good for use in alternate tunings and also for anything where you perform unaccompanied, or with just guitar or mountain dulcimer. Very rich, full sound that works beautifully in that context. I keep one in "Get Up John" tuning... unfortunately, I have never encountered a tone-bar version, but going by other X to tone-bar comparisons, I'm sure that would bring the trebles up a bit.
  9. jasona
    jasona
    I brought my Laura Ratcliff A5 in to Buffalo Brothers several years ago fully intending to walk out with a Collings. Sales guy was totally geeked too, was playing lots of Collings for me to hear out front. Then he took out my mandolin, played it some, looked at me, put in the case, and walked away.

Yes they are really strong in the bass, but when they open up, its a piercing, loose and relaxed souting treble, very good for numerous genres, including BG.
  10. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Sorry, I didn't notice people were searching for my videos earlier. You can find them all here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidmold

and here's a closeup of me playing New Five Cents on it yesterday (I posted this on the Song A Week group too). I've found this mandolin to be great right across the range. It has its own sound, but it's rich and complex, and if you put in the work, you can make it cut through just about anything. It has some great sparkle on the treble side, as well as good woof on the low strings.

11. wildpikr
    wildpikr
    AS far as MAS is concerned, I'm not any help - I'm an enabler. I can't do much more than echo what everyone else has said - these are good mandolins!

Both of my Silverangels are nothing short of wonderful and have two distinct voices. I don't really separate them as to what type of music I play on either one; I just enjoy the different voice to the music I'm playing.
  12. jasona
    jasona
    Nice playing and tone Old Sausage!
  13. Mike Scott
    Mike Scott
    Not to highjack this thread, but I too am suffering from some bad (good?) MAS. I have a SA A-5. It is spruce over myrtle. I am jonesing for an F5 distressed spruce over maple. I love the tone and playability of the A. Will I notice much tonal difference if I get the F given the difference in wood? Any other things I should be cognizant of? I also have Kentucky KM-1500 that I would sell to get the Silverangel. Is there a huge difference between the two other than the fret size?

Thanks, Mike
  14. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Hi Mike, I think maybe Ken is the man to ask about those things. I have never heard a mandolin made with myrtle, it would be interesting to hear it.
  15. almeriastrings
    almeriastrings
    A KM-1500 and Silverangel F are very, very different. I would attempt to hear them side-by-side. The necks are very different too. Tonally, there is not much in it between a Silverangel A and F in my experience (I have one of each), though in this case, the myrtle is an additional factor... I too have never played (or even heard) a myrtle mandolin, so can't add anything useful in that respect.

Sounds like an interesting mandolin. I'd like to see a picture or two, if possible.
  16. Mike Scott
    Mike Scott
    First of all I mistakenly said the top was spruce. It is actually fir. Ken made this on spec for the 2011 SPBGMA show. I was looking for an econo A in this color and decided to give it a try. I love the tone and the neck - which I don't see as too different from the KM 1500. Not as sharp a v and the large frets are really a plus - at least for me (I have an arthritic left index and the large frets make it easier to play than the 1500). I don't have the Silverangel (named Myrtle by Ken-penciled in on the inside) with me but will be back to where it is tomorrow and if I can figure out how will try to post a sound clip. Here is a link to the photos Ken posted when he made it. He told me to wipe it down occasionally with as automobile tack cloth. The satin has now become a semi gloss, and in my mind is gorgeous. http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...ghlight=myrtle

Thanks, Mike
  17. jasona
    jasona
    Fir/myrtle will definitely sound different than spruce/maple. I know Peter Coombe has various sound clips of different wood tones but IIRC Australian and NA myrtle are different genera. I would actually love to hear some sound clips of your mandolin Mike!

As for Silverangel vs. Kentucky Fs...I have heard precious few Kentuckys that could hold a candle, but there are a few that are killer!
  18. PhilO
    PhilO
    Well, it FINALLY arrived, and I could not be more pleased....F Distressed.
    It joins an MT2V and Weber Fern at home, and does not take a back seat to anybody....all 3 have such different flavors, but I daresay the SA has by far the most punch and the most volume
    I have only had it for 5 days and the more I play it, the more I like it and.....strange as it may sound..... I have already noticed a nice difference in the sound from the first time tuned out of the box.
    I brought it to its first jam yesterday, and it can cut through just about anything....
    Let me figure out how to post a photo or two so you folks can at least have a look.
    Yes, I was a bit nervous about the 4k$ as I had never even held one, but after these posts, a few phone calls to other owners and now as I play it more and more, I would never look back.
    Ken is a TRUE craftsman and a pleasure to do business with.
    ....and thanks to all of you who helped me through this......
  19. jasona
    jasona
    Glad to hear it! Welcome to the club!

Just wait for a couple of months when that thing really opens up!
  20. D C Blood
    D C Blood
    Welcome to the Silverangel world...You may discover, as I have over the last few years, as you pick your SA more and more...when someone else asks you to give their "Brand X" mando, a try, your SA is going to sound better than almost any of them. And when you had your SA to somebody else to try, try not to be too smug about the amazed look on their faces at the sound ...happens all the time.