Waltz in G ("Mother and Father Waltz")

1. Don Christy
    Don Christy
    This waltz is believed to be by Bill Monroe. I learned it from Skip Gorman at a mandolin workshop. He said he picked it up off a recording from Bill's bus. I later heard from Mike Compton that it may also be called "Mother and Father Waltz" though I may have that name wrong! I'm playing it on my 1921 Gibson F-2.

Here's me playing a while ago right after the workshop. I was learning to do some multi-track recording with GarageBand, but didn't know how to record the video yet, so i just did text overlay.

2. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    That is a lovely tune! Any chance of notation or TAB? Yes, you might try deleting that 2nd one from youtube and re-uploading it...

Barb
  3. Don Christy
    Don Christy
    Ok, there should be something here everyone can use:

First, a PDF Version

then a TablEdit Version

Then some jpegs:

-Don
  4. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Don, thanks! When jpegs of notation are inserted here, you can right click on them, and save them to your computer, then print them out!
  5. KyleBerry
    KyleBerry
    I love this song! I wish I was good enough to play it. The double stops and tremolos are the really tough parts.
  6. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Kyle, all you gotta do is keep practicing! I was talking to a musician yesterday, who is an awesome banjo player. He was telling a story about how someone had asked him how many years it took him to learn to play like that, and he said, 'it's not how many years, it's how many HOURS!'

So true! If you have the interest and the desire to learn, and the time and inclination to practice as MUCH as you possibly can, you'll be able to achieve whatever it is you wish!
  7. KyleBerry
    KyleBerry
    Thanks Barbara. How do you get to Carnegie hall? Practice! I practice everyday for at least an hour. And I also play piano. I love music and I love to play music. I learned piano by playing the same song over and over and over again. And I am using the same method on the mandolin. It also gives me something to do when I am bored! lol.
  8. Don Christy
    Don Christy
    Double stops and tremolo are what make this waltz such a great one to work on. Getting those double stop slides and hammer ons during the tremolo takes some time, but it's great practice. Just start very slowly and keep with it.
    Don
  9. KyleBerry
    KyleBerry
    Yes it is a beautiful piece. The double stops and tremolo sound amazing on this song. I practiced it for awhile today, still got a lot more practice to do!
  10. Tracy Ballinger
    Tracy Ballinger
    Is that the same song as this one?
  11. DryBones
    DryBones
    I would like that last one in TAB along with chords if possible.
  12. Don Christy
    Don Christy
    I don't think that's the same song, but it's a good one!
    Don
  13. ChrisStewart
    ChrisStewart
    Ok, well I have been busy this week so l am lagging a bit behind. I had been wanting to add a nice waltz so thanks for posting this. I still don't have it down very well but gonna post it anyway

14. Don Christy
    Don Christy
    Chris, that sounds great. It's a great waltz isn't it?
    Don
  15. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Chris, sounds good, but it freezes up about 40 seconds into it. I tried it also straight from You Tube, and it didn't play all the way through there, either.
  16. Don Christy
    Don Christy
    I found the same thing, but if I drag the little thingy that shows where you are a little past the frozen spot, it will start back.
  17. ChrisStewart
    ChrisStewart
    Yeah, it is a good tune. We had our regular band practice tonight and everyone liked it so we will add it to our line-up.

That YouTube video seems to be messed up.

I want to try to make a better recording anyway so I'll try again when I get a bit better at it.
  18. KyleBerry
    KyleBerry

Here is me playing.
  19. jamann
    jamann
    Don,
    Very nicely done! I've got to learn this one.