HOTAfest 2013 is ready!

1. multidon
    multidon
    Hello group! It has been a very long time since I've posted something. Now I have something to talk about. Information is available online about HOTAfest 2013 at hotafest.com. Last year I complained that there was only one mandolin class and it was for beginners. Same class as the year before. All I can say is someone was actually listening! This year they are having the beginners class and FOUR others- Beyond the basics, Old Time, Celtic, and Blues! Plus an introduction to Irish tenor banjo! Seriously, if you live in NW PA and play the mandolin, you SHOULD NOT miss this opportunity! Check it out, and I hope to see all of you there!

Don
  2. Leverman61
    Leverman61
    Don looks like they really ramped up the mando content. Is this due to demand? Are you familiar with any of the instructors?
  3. multidon
    multidon
    Yes they really did ramp it up. I can't prove it for sure but I believe it is a direct result of my complaints on the evaluation form they passed out on the last day. I complained on that form in great detail to the effect that they had both beginning and advanced guitar, fiddle, and banjo but only beginning level mandolin for 2 years in a row with the same instructor. I am not familiar with any of the instructors other than the one who teaches beginning level. He is a good enough guy, and teaches just about what you would expect in a beginner's session. Some 2 and 3 finger chords, a fingering chart, some scales, and some simple jam tunes, and q and a at the end. He gives the Cafe a nice plug during his class. He plays a really gorgeous Weber F style. Not sure of the model. But I will definitely sign up for as many of those classes as I can fit in. An opportunity like this does not come along often.
  4. Leverman61
    Leverman61
    I have contacted the folks at Hotafest requesting more specific info on the workshops. If I was to attend ,it would probably be for just one day and I was hoping to see who is teaching which days. Still waiting for an email or an update on the schedule. I hope to attend and jam on either Saturday or Sunday. Maybe we will get a chance to jam a bit?
  5. multidon
    multidon
    I will most likely be attending all three days so I would very much look forward to meeting up and jamming! I met up with friend last year. Maybe he'll be back too. I am hopeful the increased mandolin content will attract more members. I have other stuff going on too. There is a chance I might co teach an intro to Celtic harp and I have possibly some instruments I will try to sell at the instrument mart. As we get closer let us know when you will be there and we will definitely meet!
  6. RevSpyder
    RevSpyder
    Just heard about this since joining this group. It's nearby, and sounds great -- look forward to meeting other local mando players.

Actually, it's more like I play guitar on the mandolin so far, but hey...

Maybe by then I will have figured out how to hold those blasted picks!

Spyder
  7. Leverman61
    Leverman61
    Hi all looks like the schedule is up for the Hotafest activities.
    http://www.hotafest.com/index.php?Schedule
  8. multidon
    multidon
    Leverman61= thank you for pointing out that the schedule is ready! Now we can make our plans. Looks like most of the advanced mandolin sessions are on Saturday.