Wide Neck Model - Does it make a difference?

1. BillC-PA
    BillC-PA
    I currently play an octave mandolin (intermediate beginner) and will probably be purchasing a standard mandolin within the next couple of months, and the Big Muddy is definitely on my short-list. I have fairly small hands, and some of the chords on the octave are a real challenge. I noticed that the majority of manufacturers produce ‘wide neck’ models, which are typically just 1/8 inch wider at the nut. Does the extra width really make that much difference and given my small hands would I be wrong to consider a wide neck model. The Big Muddy wide necks are 1 ¼ inch. Yes, I’ve searched and read a lot of messages regarding neck width, but I thought I’d check here on this group.
    Thanks,
    Bill
  2. FatBear
    FatBear
    You can think of the extra 1/8" as an extra 1/24" per string pair spacing, which doesn't seem like much. Or you can think of it as an additional 11% which is quite a bit.

I have an MW-0w and have also played 3 Gibsons with 1-1/8" nuts and at least one of them with a radiused fingerboard, and my amateur fingers seem equally clumsy on them all. :-)

It is of interest to note that if you get the "w" option on a Big Muddy it not only includes the wider nut/neck, but the last time I looked there were other includes like ebony fretboard and such. I did not buy mine for the ebony, but it is strikingly black and a nice addition, I think.