Big Muddy M14 Mandola

1. shanzelka
    shanzelka
    I am going to Dusty Strings tomorrow to try a Big Muddy M14 Mandola. I am new to mandolins/mandolas and already have a Gibson H1 Mandola (1919) that I will sell if the Muddy works out for me. I am interested in playing in a mandolin orchestra and exploring several other genres of music (I also play cello and have a background in piano, harp and violin). my husband, also bitten by the mandolin bug, and currently taking lessons (after struggling unsuccessfully to learn the guitar for years and able to play a song, scale and several chords after just 3 mandolin lessons) and I are going to the Darrington bluegrass festival in a few weeks!
  2. bratsche
    bratsche
    Good luck, and let us know how it goes. The M 14 is the walnut one, isn't it? I have the rosewood M-16 and an all mahogany M11-M mandolas, but I also own a couple of other flat-top mandolas that have maple backs and sides (love 'em all!) No walnuts, though.

bratsche
  3. shanzelka
    shanzelka
    Walnut, with Sitka Spruce top. I'm really excited to get my hands on it and try it out!
  4. shanzelka
    shanzelka
    I did it -- I'm now the proud owner of a Big Muddy! I've already been in contact with Doug (Edwards) and ordered a walnut pick guard and armrest!
    My Gibson sold yesterday to the first person who responded to my ad. He lives on the island and played it at a local establishment last night (yes, I went!). So glad it will be loved and played!
  5. bratsche
    bratsche
    Congratulations, and I hope you have a lot of fun with it. Also, consider posting pictures and/or sound/video files!

bratsche
  6. billkilpatrick
    auguroni! - welcome to the club - photos and sound sample would be nice. "lives on the island" ... which island? i love islands ...
  7. shanzelka
    shanzelka
    Whidbey! Will post pics after I get the pick guard and armrest!