Lieto Passato (Santi Tafarella)

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This group has had little activity lately, so I thought I should post a new tune to it.

This is a waltz written in 1927 by the Italian-American dance band leader Santi Tafarella, who published and recorded prolifically, but unfortunately is now completely lost in time -- I'm not aware of anybody else still playing his tunes today.

Some years ago, Jim Garber sent me a stack of old mandolin sheet music, published by O. Pagani in New York. Tafarella was easily the most represented composer, and many of his pieces are wonderfully melodic and effective. We added several of them to the repertoire folder of our mandolin ensemble, and of them, Lieto Passato was the most popular with my colleagues.

The title of this waltz translates as "Happy Recollections", and I've liked it for many years -- it's such an inherently happy tune, the perfect counterpart (and antidote) to Speranze Perdute (Lost Hope).

Mandolin 1: Luigi Embergher bowlback
    Mandolin 2: Umberto Ceccherini bowlback
    Guitar: Ozark tenor guitar

Martin
  2. wundo
    wundo
    This tune grows on you the more you play it.

Any chance you could post the 2nd mandolin part?

I'll play it Sat. night at my weekly gig at a Pizza restaurant.
  3. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, wundo. I've posted the second mandolin and guitar parts over in the corresponding thread on the main forum (Link).

Hope it works out at your gig -- you're right, it's a tune that grows the more one plays it. I'm very fond of it.

Martin