Introductions -----What say Ye-----

1. Ridge54
    Ridge54
    Picked up a Penco 2 point mandolin at the Haddonfield music store in 1979 or there abouts for $150.00. I've been picking it up and down ever since. Now at 55 I've decided to make an effort to learn a few more things about playing. Last October I started with a Praise and Worship group at church. Trying to develop a sense of rhythm and use of chords. Can't get away from that Bluegrass sound though.

So yes marriage and kids will buffet your career but hey it is all worth in the big picture of things. At the end of the day it is just so nice to put on the mantle of T. O 'Carolan and play on my fake Gibson 2 point.

Have fun with snow you all.
    Ridge
  2. frshwtrbob
    frshwtrbob
    Hey Ridge,
    My name is Bob Grieco. I've owned and operated The Musician's Studio (music school) in Red Bank since 1982. My main instrument has been guitar until I started playing the mandolin in early September of this year (2010) and its taken over my interest and attention.
    My purchases have involved a damaged Eastman 514 exchanged for a Eastman 515 and a used Big Muddy mini mo exchanged for a custom made Big Muddy M-4 and a soon to arrive Mid Missouri M-1 from craigslist.
    Glad to be part of this group. I hope you dig the shots I posted of the Manasquan Inlet.
    Bob G
  3. Ridge54
    Ridge54
    Happy Thanks Giving Bob, The pictures are great. Nice lightning shots. Mandolin hunting has always been a fascination to me. Let me know your impressions of the big Muddy. My immediate impression was there nothing fancy and a basic approach. I now have 4 instruments: Kentucky 505, Morgan Monroe MMS9FE, Penco and an Eastwood Electric mandola. I seem to go through cycles of favorites. Right now I seem to be favoring the big wide open big sound of the Penco. Have you discovered BOTMA and the slow jams being held a little north of you in the town of Little Silver. Heidi Olsen is a good contact and has forwarded to me much information on the goings on Bluegrass music in the garden state. Checkout www.newjerseybluegrass.org. Have fun playing and finding the heart and soul of your new found interest.
  4. frshwtrbob
    frshwtrbob
    oops
  5. frshwtrbob
    frshwtrbob
    oops
  6. Geiss
    Geiss
    Hi All, up in Union and happily playing nice Collings oval hole. I like blues, fiddle tunes, ragtime and am trying my hand at some choro tunes, Enjoying reading music and also playing by ear. Blessed to have to very phenom mandolin instructors helping me in this journey!
  7. scootergirl62
    scootergirl62
    Hi, I'm up in Northwest New Jersey. Thought about learning the Mandolin for a little while now and Picked up at Ephiphone MM30 in a Pawn Shop a few weeks ago. Just started lessons this week. Really looking forward to learning this instrument!
  8. Benski
    Benski
    Am taking a lazy Saturday and hadnt visited this group for a while, so "Hi" to everyone. I'm in Central Jersey and always looking to talk mandos. I currently play in a '20's ragtime blues group (we're playing at Albert Hall in Waretown tonight), but love any time of mando music: Irish, Bluegrass, Swing, whatever's out there. Anyway, have a great day, all. Cheers, Benski
  9. Carzakatz
    Carzakatz
    Hi All..I'm in Caldwell, NJ. Just started playing my mandolin a few weeks ago. Would love to find a good teacher in Essex County. Anyone know of anybody? Teaching myself at the moment and teaching is not my strong suit so, think working with a real teacher would be better..LOL Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks