Jock Tamson's Hornpipe ~ Scottish origin ~New England Fiddle Tune

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here's a hornpipe I'm learning. I got this out of "The New England Fiddler's Repertoire", a GREAT tune book! You'd normally play it several times through, but I was so happy to have made it through ONCE with no horrible mistakes, I decided to stop while I was ahead!

2. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here's the standard notation:

3. willh
    willh
    Good job, Barb. I really like hornpipes, they set my foot to tapping and the syncopation is very interesting. Oh, yeah, and they aren't played at lightening speed so my slow fingers can keep up.

Will
  4. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Thanks!! I love hornpipes, too! I also like jigs & slip jigs, NOT lightening speed! Barb
  5. Daci
    Daci
    Oh me too! I've always had a thang for hornpipes...And that's a sweet one.
  6. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    X:8045
    T:Jock Tamson's Hornpipe
    M:2/4
    L:1/16
    K:D
    Ad|fgfe dedB|A2F2 F3E|DFAd gfed|cdef e2Ad|!
    fgfe dedB|A2F2 F3A|FAdf egec|d2f2 d2:|!
    |:ef|gfeg fedf|edcB A2ef|gfeg fedf|e2a2 a2ef|!
    gfeg fedf|edce dcBA|Bdce dfeg|f2d2 d2:|!
  7. Mike O'Connell
    Mike O'Connell
    While going through the “Other Tunes” list a number of months ago I discovered this one Barbara had posted. The end of the B part is a little tricky but on most days now I can make it through with a minimum of restarts. That’s progress.

8. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Mike, that was great! I still love this tune! Are those your flowers, cactus and lemons? Very nice, too!
  9. Mike O'Connell
    Mike O'Connell
    Thanks Barbara. You’re right, this is a lovely tune. Both A and B parts are very melodic and your fingers get a good workout, especially when you drop the bounce and go for speed. The flowers are mine and the cactus and lemons belong to a friend. We live in the city and they live out in the country with a lot more land.
  10. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Barbara, sounds great1
    Nicely done, Mike. The mandolin and guitar backup was just right.
  11. Susanne
    Susanne
    Very nice tune!
  12. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Barbara and Michael, they were great. Jock Tamson's Bairns are a Scottish Group, and I checked the listings (http://www.nigelgatherer.com/perf/group2/jtb.html) to see if this was on the CDs, but it isn't, so don't know the history of it.....
  13. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Barbara, thanks for posting this tune and the sheet music. It's a fun one to play and has become a favorite. dusty
  14. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Jock Tamson's Hornpipe
  15. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    What a fine wee tune. Barbara, thanks for the standard notation; for some reason I cannot see your video here - just a blank where it should be, though the other videos are showing and playing quite clearly and others seem to have accessed your video by the comments added.