Day one in the books.

1. Terry Jones
    Terry Jones
    First day with a mando and Im still being faithful to practice- and they said it wouldnt last. I think all the reading of others experience in getting started has made the process easier. Learning hammered dulcimer I had a "professional" regularly show me something very simple to play and they would play over the top of me, and eventually I was capable of standing on my own- but there was never a process of discipline to stay devoted to. I can play some very basic stuff on guitar, but this approach of making a lifetime committment to learning this thing can mentally be very daunting. I really think the non-judgemental encouragment of the folks associated with this site is gonna help. Yall have a great day.
  2. Pasha Alden
    Pasha Alden
    Hi there Terry

A lifetime commitment may seem daunting. However let me assure you of great and happy times. My life has changed since I started learning to play the mandolin. A friend visiting yesterday asked me "Why the mandolin" I explained how a song inspired me to take it up. I said then I saw the size of the instrument, the slender neck. I have small hands and for some reason the mandolin and I just fell in love, achieved an ease in walking together on our musical journey (so to speak). The rest is a happy history.

So if you can, allow day 1 to become day two three, four, 100, and so on. I am sure it is a different journey from the dulcima, but let me assure you it is worthwhile, or for my life's journey it certainly was the case.

Happy playing

Vanillamandolin (Pasha Alden)
  3. Terry Jones
    Terry Jones
    Thanks for the encouragement. Off and rolling. Picked up the mando for dummies, thats a good book. Ordered another book ,cd, and dvd that showed up one day after ordering-minus the dvd so im leaving that one alone till the dvd shows up; Im trying to avoid bad habits from the start. hords seem to be coming fairly easy, rhythm is another story. My dogs seem irritated by key of F, some pooches just have no taste.