AS TIME DRAWS NEAR by the Saw Mt String Band

1. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Here's the latest from the Saw Mt. String Band. It's an old one and Marcy really shines on this one. She sang lead and played her autoharp. Her husband, Jeff, backed her on 5 string banjo. I added harmony vocal, guitar, mandolin, bass and fiddle.

2. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Yeah, Michael made the mistake of letting me know a fiddle was hidden in his closet, and I've been hinting that he get it into these recordings ever since. He had to cut and set a new soundpost and refinish the instrument, but now it's up and running.
    Lest I look like a slacker--in point of fact, Even with a banjo, bass, guitar, fiddle, and mandolin--I happen to be covering more strings than both guys put together.
    We had such a great time figuring out this tune that we've done it twice. The version still in the works is for y'all who prefer a Celtic feel and features another guest star from the Cafe, so stay tuned. I won't say any more, but from what I've heard...it's going to be amazing!
  3. laura809
    laura809
    Very nice!
  4. jonny250
    jonny250
    Great stuff - Marcelyn you have a super voice, very well suited for this song
  5. Francis J
    Francis J
    Well done Marcelyn, Jeff and Michael. Really looking forward to your Celtic version!
  6. dusty miller
    dusty miller
    Really nice!
  7. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Thanks so much for the encouraging words. This one was a challenge.
    You know, I forgot to share what I found about the history of this tune, and I think it's interesting. Apparently, there are lots of variations on both the lyrics and the melody. Many of those lyrics were penned in Civil-War era diaries from both Appalachia and the Ozarks. The song has been recorded a lot recently, but was somehow missed during the early recordings beginning in the 20s. We can thank Tommy Jarrell for keeping the tune alive and passing it along to a new generation of musicians. Here he is singing it with clawhammer banjo.

And here's the article on the tune's history along with chords and lyrics.
    http://www.lizlyle.lofgrens.org/RmOl...ckestCrow.html
  8. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    This is great. Michael is right on this one, Marcy you really shine on this. Well done.
  9. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    beautiful.... whens the cd coming out
  10. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Yet another great offering here. You all blend so well together and the singing has really gained so much confidence and expression, Marcelyn.
  11. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Wonderful. Great arrangement and playing!!
  12. richieb
    richieb
    Beautifully done. Marcelyn, voice sounds like an angel with a broken heart on this one. Looking forward to the Celtic version.
  13. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Absolute topper. Marcy is.
    And Michael even placed a vintage drawing of her at 2:07.
    Second what Richie said.
  14. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Finally I completed the "Celtic" version I mixed. We now call it the Transatlantic Stringband, because I live on the other side of the Transatlantic Ocean... i hope the video's make it a bit more Celtic

15. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Your tin whistle is stunning with this song, Hendrik! I asked for your help with it, because Celtic is one of my favorite styles, but I have a hard time pulling it off authentically. I think you nailed it. It's so fun to see how the same track can have so many possibilities.
  16. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    The tin whistle is fantastic. I've just started a concerted effort to learn the tin whistle after many false starts over the years. This is just the sort of motivation I need.
  17. dusty miller
    dusty miller
    Both versions really sound great!
  18. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Hendrik that's a most impressive demonstration how instruments and playing style make a genre. And it's not just a Tennessee gal putting on a green hat on St Patrick's day, it's a total change of reality. It's planet Magrathea.
  19. Francis J
    Francis J
    Yep, you hit the nail on the head there Bertram, transgenrism is born! What a great collaboration. Great music, well played (and sung) everybody.
  20. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Well done luurtie!

If you've got the time (and transportation) come see the Transatlantic String Band play at the Milliways. Just hitch a ride to the Restaurant at the End of the Universe!
  21. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    To be honest Michael, I liked the SAW Mountaind Stringband version even more.. .... that guitar intro you did is so beautiful .... Wel done to you all....us all...
  22. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Great variation, Hendrik. The whistle is so evocative and soulful.
  23. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Love the whistle at the beginning and the autoharp at the end: and a mention in dispatches for the vocals in between.
  24. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Wonderful playing and singing! Amazing collaboration across the miles.
  25. Steve Cantrell
    Steve Cantrell
    Wow, that was great. Marcelyn you really have a way with singing, and Michael on the backup added just what was needed. Great job all the way around.