Heavier strings

1. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    I just tried some J75s on #21. I don't know if it really sounds any different, maybe just a little, but the feel changes just a bit. I tried them because it seemed almost too easy to play with the J74s.

But anyway, they work just fine, and sound pretty good, and it's definitely not an adverse change. Bit louder. I do like them, and will keep using them for now.

Here's a video:

2. Marty Jacobson
    Marty Jacobson
    Interesting, thanks for letting us know. Once you get used to J75's and those feel too easy to play, as well, you can switch to mandocello.
  3. dusty miller
    dusty miller
    Well I don't know how long you have been using the 74's but you must have been due for a little change up. Like you said it must give you a different feel to your mandolin. I just recently started sticking to something I like, before that I kind of jumped around. Intresting you could hear a little more volume with heavier strings. Mandolin sounds better everytime I hear it.
  4. dusty miller
    dusty miller
    Are they any rougher on your finger tips? I guess since you play so much maybe that wouldn't be the case, but just wondering if you noticed any difference with that.
    I have been trying some clawhammer banjo and boy your right thumb gets sore because it's not used to the string plucking. Fun though.
  5. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Well it always hurts a little bit at first when I switch to heavier strings. They do seem to work well on this one, but I have a vague feeling that the heavier strings may be at odds with its nature. We'll see.

I always want to be able to play some clawhammer banjo, but I can never stick at practicing "bum-ditty" long enough to get the hang of it.
  6. dusty miller
    dusty miller
    Yeah that clawhammer is obviously such a different and new thing to get you right hand to do. Takes a lot of time to get going, you just have to work on your right hand for quite awhile. I'm just starting and thought I better start before the new Jacobson arrives because then I'll playing that A LOT.
  7. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    For those who are curious, I've gone back to J74s now. There was nothing wrong with the J75s, but there was nothing gained either, so not really worth the extra stress on the fingers.
  8. Markkunkel
    Markkunkel
    Very cool, syncopated version of "Molly Hare," there! Thanks for sharing it with us. I've been trying to get it down since your post on mando, octave, and guitar, and those little added tempo lifts make it a different tune. Thanks again...

MK
  9. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks Mark, it'd be great to hear your version some time!
  10. Pete Jenner
    Pete Jenner
    I tried learning clawhammer banjo and I just don't get it.
  11. dusty miller
    dusty miller
    Well David you said you had the feeling maybe the heavier strings were not in the mandos nature, so now you know. Just cost you a pack of strings Reiterates why you like the 74's. Since Marty puts those on his mandolins I guess I'll be trying the j74's when it comes. Maybe I'll like them better than the flatwounds, we'll see. You playing the Jacobson all the time or do you pick your others here and there. Bring one to a gig or multiple?

Pete so far so good with the clawhammer. I'm trying Lost Indian for starters.
  12. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    I play the Silverangel usually with the bluegrass band, mostly because it has that amazing chop, which would just be pretty hard to beat. But when I'm playing for my own enjoyment I always find myself reaching for the Jacobson, I just find it really addictive. But now I have the pickup in #21, I want to try that at some gigs and see how it works out. Our next show is on [August 3rd] - Oops, no July 31st! down in Peachtree City, so I'll be taking both.

I was hoping I'd have had a chance by now, but it's been raining so much that our last two shows got cancelled as they were both outdoor events.
  13. dusty miller
    dusty miller
    Man, I'd love to see that (in Peachtree city). Sometimes looking for bluegrass in east Pa. is like looking for it in Iceland. Sounds like plenty in Georgia.
    Playing outdoors is super fun unless it rains of course. Played at the top of a ski mountain with the band I was in years ago. Lobster bake and a summer night on top of a mountain was awesome.
  14. Tom Haywood
    Tom Haywood
    Lost Indian is one of my favorites. Don't know if the video of it from the Mando Tasting Party got posted. David, are y'all playing at the new hamburger joint in PTC?
  15. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Hi Tom. Yes, that's right - "Grazing Here" I think it's called. We're hosting their bluegrass jam night, so please come on down if you're so inclined.

Marty's the one with the video of Lost Indian - I don't think he ever posted it.
  16. Marty Jacobson
    Marty Jacobson
    Hey guys, I forgot about those. Thanks for reminding me. Fun stuff! Posting more in the "Videos" thread.

17. Tom Haywood
    Tom Haywood
    Marty, thanks for posting that. I hope it inspires dusty miller. David, that's real close to my house. Glad you guys are going to host it. I plan to be there.
  18. dusty miller
    dusty miller
    Tom, I have to say Lost Indian is my favorite song at the moment. It sounds great played clawhammer on the videos I have seen and sounds FANTASTIC on a mandolin. Thank you for bringing this up, you guys sound great. Definitely inspired, now I'm going to have to learn it on mandolin as well. Thanks Tom, Marty ,David.
  19. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Just an update to note that the Jam at Grazing here is Wednesday July 31st, not August 3rd as I originally posted. Doh.
  20. Marty Jacobson
    Marty Jacobson
    !

21. dusty miller
    dusty miller
    The avacado makes it a healthy burger. Looks good to me!
  22. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    I dunno, I think it needs more cheese.
  23. dusty miller
    dusty miller
    Another pattie too. You might need a note from your cardiologist.
  24. Pete Jenner
    Pete Jenner
    Not sure I want to visit America anymore after seeing that.
  25. Pete Jenner
    Pete Jenner
    The cheese isn't even cheese colour. (color to youse blokes)
  26. dusty miller
    dusty miller
    Good ole American cheddar. Could be worse could be spray cheese from a can.
  27. Michael Bridges
    Michael Bridges
    Don't worry about it Pete! When you get over here, we'll take you down to the Vortex. Voted Best Burger in Atlanta numerous years in a row!
    http://www.thevortexbarandgrill.com/pages/food-menu
  28. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Now, recently 2 things happened with #21 - first, I tried J73 (slightly lighter) strings on it, and really liked them, and second, Marty fitted one of his clever new bridges to it. Since then I've liked it even better than ever - I don't know what it is exactly, but it's good. Here's my latest one from the Song A Week group for reference:

29. Marty Jacobson
    Marty Jacobson
    David, I put one of the new bridges and J73's on #14, and it definitely sounds different. It sounds "older", somehow... though I think I'm going to bump up to 11's on the E course.
    Nice playing, as usual.
  30. dusty miller
    dusty miller
    Interesting, the little sound differences you are finding with the different string gauges. Your Jacobson is sounding great David and yes great pickin' as usual.
  31. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Yes, I had similar thoughts about bumping up the thickness of the E course, but I'm amazed how good it sounds even with the 10s, so I'll probably stick with them.

Thanks Kris!