Which strap should I get for #19???

1. Stephen Porter
    Stephen Porter
    Since it won't be long now before my new Jacobson will be arriving, I've been considering ordering a nice strap to complete the package.

There are few Cafe members who advertise what appear to be very nice straps. At this poing I'm leaning toward "The Bailey." They look great and the gizmo that "locks" the strap to the end pin seems like a good idea?

Part of the process for ordering one of these is measuring for a proper fit, which begs a couple of questions for me. I'm sure Marty will have answers or an opinion on some of these, but any input is welcome.

1. Is an endpin included with the mandolin? I glanced through pix on Marty's website and didn't notice whether there was or not. I bought a '30's "Kalamazoo" flat-top mando to practice with, but it's a little hard to play and I haven't spent much time with it. It doesn't have an endpin, or even a hole in the tailpiece. It's hard to hold in my lap while sitting and, or course, it needs an endpin to attach a strap or any kind. (Which is another question--would a luthier drill a hole in the tailpiece (and mandolin) to insert an endpin? Or should the tailpiece be replaced with one that already has an endpin hole?)

2. What's the best way to attach a strap? I think I read something or saw a video posted by Marty recommending that the strap be attached at the peghead--sliding under the strings and tying it off, but I'm not sure. The other method I've seen recommended is to attach under the fingerboard extension. I've also thought about getting a second endpin screwed into the heel of the neck--I kind of like that method on guitars. But I'm not sure whether I want to screw anything into this new piece of art ;-). Or whether or not that's the best way to keep a mando in a stable playing position. So I'd be interested in thoughts on that approach.

I'm not totally committed to the Bailey straps, so if anyone has other recommendations I'd be happy to hear about them. Looking for something high-quality and good-looking enough to complement these beauties

TIA for any input.

STP (#19 aka "STP Special" ;-))
  2. dusty miller
    dusty miller
    I spoke with Marty about that very thing. They do come with an endpin to hold the strap at the tailpiece and he also said he could place one where I wanted another one. His thought the best bet was to put the top around the headstock and that made sense to me. As for a strap I have only looked a little bit, there was some nice looking straps at Lakota leathers which I saw on the main page of the café here but I'm not sure the link is still up there. I have heard good things about "The Bailey" But I didn't give a good look around yet for what to get. If not I thought I'd put two multi colored shoelaces together and duct tape them to the headstock.
  3. Mike Arakelian
    Mike Arakelian
    Just go ahead and try it, Kris.

I have a very good looking Golden Gate strap that I use. Cost me about $35.00. You can go to Lakota Leathers web site and see their offerings. They had a booth at IBMA, and I can tell you the straps look and feel great. Most of their straps lend themselves to an F- style, so if you go that route be sure that it will work with the A.

Mike
  4. dusty miller
    dusty miller
    Thanks for the Lakota info Mike, guess I'll start to search for one I like somewhere.
    Stephen- I have a cheapy A mandolin and running the top part under the strings below the tuners seems to work fine for me. I have also seen it up further between the tuners.
  5. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    I went for a two tone Lakota leathers on mine, and it looks great. I tie it around the end of the fingerboard with a rawhide shoelace. What I've also started doing on all my mandos is keeping the strap so it can't fall off the endpin by tying another rawhide strip over the strap on the endpin and under the tailpiece. I hate it when straps fall off the endpin.
  6. Mike Arakelian
    Mike Arakelian
    Especially if you're standing . Using the rawhide is a good idea to keep it in place. If you get a chance, can you post a picture so we can see exactly how you do it? Thanks!
  7. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Sure, Mike, here's a quick pic. I've done the same on the Silverangel. The rawhide loops under the tailpiece on the top. It's not absolutely foolproof - if you give a good sharp tug on the strap, the rawhide will still pull off the endpin. But the strap never slips off in normal use, which used to be a problem for me, especially on the SA. If you used a narrower material and tied it tighter, it could be made so it wouldn't pull through.

8. MonicaJacobson
    MonicaJacobson
    I don't know how the comfort factor compares, but a thicker, vegetable tanned strap wouldn't have that problem. We've been using a veg tanned strap for a year with no weakening or stretching at the endpin.

You could also make a little leather button, theoretically. If you have a thick, old, leather belt, you could cut it up, put a hole and a slit in it, and slide it in between the endpin and your current strap. It'd be small, secure, and basically unnoticeable.
  9. Mike Arakelian
    Mike Arakelian
    Thanks David and Monica. MY strap if stretching a bit on the tail piece end and it has come off a couple of times...thankfully it's been while I'm just looping it over my head, so no damage done. I do need to find a fix before something worse happens. The irony is that my guitar straps are so tight going over the end pin that I had to get a leather punch and make the holes bigger. I think I'll give David's method a try and see how it works.
  10. Stephen Porter
    Stephen Porter
    Thanks for all the feedback.

One of the things that makes the Bailey straps seem attractive is he has a sliding leather "lock" that cinches the end section (1/8" leather) down to the endpin. Kind of like David's homemade solution. And a leather "washer" for the headstock or under-the-fingerboard end. Other than that, I'd probably go for a Lakota.

I'm not sure how the two attachment pieces on the Baileys are woven into or attached to the main strap. I've sent him an email asking for more details.

No one has commented on putting a guitar-style, second endpin in heel of the neck--so I guess that might be sacrilegious ;-). I'll bet I could get Marty to figure out how to make a beautiful, hand-turned/carved one that would look great though...

The entire summer batch looks fantastic!

STP
  11. Marty Jacobson
    Marty Jacobson
    Stephen, #19 is looking awesome. #19, #24, #25, and #27 are very nearly done and mostly buffed up.
    A strap button can certainly be added, if you'd like to give that a try. I don't think it's better than attaching to the headstock, as I feel that it does not stabilize the neck enough. Also, it doesn't allow you to use the angle of the strap to do the work of holding the instrument away from your body.
  12. Stephen Porter
    Stephen Porter
    Marty,

Thanks for the input--I'll just pass on the heel button...

Best,
    STP
  13. dusty miller
    dusty miller
    Not sure what anyone else got for there new mandolin but I got a round Lakota Leather strap for Christmas for #24. Really soft and the two colors look cool. Looking forward to trying it out.