Events in the Area- Concerts. Jams, etc.

1. Amandalyn
    Amandalyn
    Please list any concerts, jams,festivals, workshops, etc. here for the North Florida Area.
  2. Garden Music
    Garden Music
    Don't faint! The Swanson Family Bluegrass Band will be having a bluegrass/gospel concert in...CRYSTAL RIVER!!! Friday, Oct. 22, at 7:00 pm at St. Timothy Lutheran Church located at 1070 N. Suncoast Blvd. (that's Highway 19) in Crystal River.

Karen
  3. garyedelman
    garyedelman
    Just wondering if anyone had info on the Fall Bluegrass Festival in
    Waldo Nov. 3 - 6. I'm just settling in to Gainesville, and thought
    it might be a good thing to catch. Any info or recommendations on
    the bands that are playing. Unfortunately, my mandolin is in Wisconsin,
    but I hope to have it hear by then. I do have one of my guitars so
    I am not totally muscially deprived. So I hope to catch a workshop or
    2. None of the topics have been posted yet. Thanks, Gary
  4. Amandalyn
    Amandalyn
    Ormond Beach Riverfest, Cheryl Watson & Watertown, Claire Lynch Trio

Ormond Beach, FL Riverfest featuring cafe members band Cheryl Watson & Watertown, along with Claire Lynch Trio and many others. Saturday Nov. 19
    http://www.ormondriverfest.com
  5. Amandalyn
    Amandalyn
    Sertoma Thanksgiving Bluegrass Festival
    Brooksville, FL Nov.24-27 at Sertoma Youth Ranch
    Featuring cafe members Cheryl Watson & Watertown
    , Lonesome River Band, The Chapmans, and many more.
  6. Amandalyn
    Amandalyn
    The Grascals will be at Ponte Vedra Concert Hall 8:00 pm, Thursday, Aug. 23. Cheryl Watson & Watertown will open. More info at
    www.pvconcerthall.com
  7. garyedelman
    garyedelman
    Anyone planning on going, or has anyone been to the Palatka Bluegrass Festival (Feb 21-23, 2013)? This year's
    line up looks remarkable; Rhonda Vincent, Daily and Vincent, the Dry Branch Fire Squad, the Grascals and the one
    and only Seldom Scene, to name a few I've never been, so any advice, tips, things to be aware of would be much
    appreciated. Also has anyone been to their bluegrass jamming class ? Unfortunately, I have not been able to devote
    as much time to learning the mandolin as I would have liked, but I think I can get the basic cords down and changed as they request, but I might bring the guitar as well. Any insights, much appreciated. Thanks, Gary
  8. Tom Sanderson
    Tom Sanderson
    Gary,
    I live less than 40 miles from the festival and have never gone although I always think about going. I will try again this time. The lineup looks good.
  9. garyedelman
    garyedelman
    Tom:
    Thanks for your reply. Hope the holidays are going well. I'm pretty sure my schedule is clear that weekend, and I too, live about
    40 miles from Palatka. Given we've lost 3 great, no maybe unbelievable, stringed instrument players this year (now that Mike
    Auldridge died yesterday), I think I'm making this even a priority. Hope to meet you if you go. Best, Gary
  10. Amandalyn
    Amandalyn
    I've been a couple times to Palatka Fest. The talent is usually great. The majority of the people who attend are the " retired" crowd. There was some jamming in the camp ground, but not a lot. They did have a jam tent, but I was there for only a day, so could be more going on. There was some good vendors there at the time....Martin Guitars, etc.
  11. RDRussell
    RDRussell
    I hope to be at the Palatka Fest and signed up for the Gilbert Nelson jam session lessons (another fee in addition to the entrance fee). I just started mandolin and am learning the lyrics and chords to the suggested songs for the sessions. After a couple weeks of mando I am still struggling with several of the chop chords, but try to make a little progress every day. But I have no difficulty with retirees - being one myself. Hope to see some of you there.
  12. garyedelman
    garyedelman
    I got over to the Palatka Bluegrass Festival yesterday. No kidding about the retired set. Talent was very good; Gibson Bros, Dry Branch Fire Squad, the Seldom Scene, etc. I observed a portion of the bluegrass class. I thought Nelson was a very engaging teacher. Was able to bring the group of varying instrument players, skills levels and interests together. Thought the music theory portion was a little basic, but was a very interesting and useful way to teach it (Circle diagram &1,4,5 cords-moving up the neck with capos). Really liked the right hand picking exercise around the word "cap-i-lar-y". Found it helpful this morning on both mandolin and guitar, and will practice it. Also liked the 3 component idea (can't remember all three but it started with rhythm) and beginning there. He would make a great grade school teacher, and was well received by the retired set. I could see how he might be too animated for say a 20s to 50s crowd. But he was an excellent musician on all instruments. And he had a collection of very fine instruments of his own. If you're looking to take the next step up from beginning, I would recommend this class. And there was some fine mandolin playing on stage. Did hear much jamming as I was leaving. And I can't imagine that many of the crowd would be staying up after the last act finished. RDRussell and others if you went, would like to hear your impressions. Thanks.
  13. garyedelman
    garyedelman
    Last minute decision, but I'm headed over to the Palatka Bluegrass Festival tomorrow (Friday, Feb. 21). Looks to be about the
    same lineup as last year. Haven't had much time to practice this year, nor do I have more than a day to spend at the festival, so I am again skipping the class. Anyone else going ?
  14. Dale Pauline
    Dale Pauline
    How was Palatka Gary?
  15. garyedelman
    garyedelman
    Hi Dale: Palatka was about the same as last year. Attendance seemed down. And the rain I'm sure didn't help. Mostly, I
    went to catch the Seldom Scene and Dry Branch Fire Squad. Both were great, as expected, as were the Gibson Brothers.
    Had an interesting chat with Gilbert Nelson and his wife who teach the Bluegrass Jamming Class/Wernick Method. While I
    haven't taken the class, I did sit in a bit last year, and this, and I think Gilbert is a very talented teacher especially given the diversity of instruments, expertise and age. Adult learners are not easy. My sense was attendance at the Jamming Class was
    way down. Since I didn't stay the night camping I can't say if many people actually get together to pick after the show ends at night. Last year I heard some as I was leaving, but this year the rain might have stop to that. The vendors were back, Martin
    again sponsored a fund raiser/raffle for the Boy's Ranch. Lou Reed, Ron Thomason and Brian Aldridge played some outstanding mandolin. But I have been making a point to see great bluegrass when and where I can. Last year losing Mike Aldridge, and Ben Eldridge not being able to come out for the encore this year, means that in some cases we might not have these great bands
    around forever. And it almost seems like a good percent of the people attending actually get in their RV's and go from one
    Adam's sponsored bluegrass festival to the next. Between acts, lots of hype for the other festivals they run. It was a nice way,
    despite the rain to blow off an afternoon and evening.