Pipe tunes, etc on the mandolin family.

1. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    As a west-coaster I am very partial to pipe tunes on the octave and mandolin, and thought this would be a good thread to open for interested folk to add their own favourites for listening or for discussion. Here is my offering of the 4-part march, Willie MacGregor, which I got from Nigel Gatherer's site http://www.nigelgatherer.com

I have posted my version, on octave and mandolin with guitar backing, on my Soundcloud page and here is the link:

2. Dave Weiss
    Dave Weiss
    Thank you. That was very nice, I've been working on that one for a while. I see (hear) now that I should slow it down a bit...

Dave
  3. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Really good John - enjoyed that.
    I notice from Nigel's site that this is in the key of A, relatively common in Scottish tunes and much less common in Irish tunes. In fact I've heard it said that if you come across an Irish tune in A it is likely to be of Scottish origin. Do you know why it is common in Scottish tunes? Does the key of A fall more kindly on the pipes?
  4. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Hi James, the music score I downloaded from Nigel's site has a D major Key signature, 2 sharps, but I'd say the tune is in A mixolydian mode(D major scale but beginning on the 5th note, which is A, or think of A major but with flattened 7th).

The Highland Bagpipe scale follows this mode, and this is probably why tunes originating from the pipes tend to be in A (but note mode above). The Highland Bagpipe further complicates things by actually being a transcribing instrument, raising all its notes by a half tone, so playing in effect in Bb! This is why at sessions there is often discord when a piper joins and folk try to accompany the tune in A or D! The small pipes and border pipes can be tuned in A major, making them popular with groups who play stringed instruments.

Fiddle versions of pipe tunes regularly sharpen the 7th note from a G natural to a G sharp to get into the key of A major.

Dave, thanks for your kind comments and remember that the pace I played the tune at is what I think it should be - others may and will differ!
  5. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Thanks John - that explains a couple of things. We were practising Lochiel's Welcome to Glasgow with the Ceilidh band at the weekend, Key signature D but clearly in A when I started accompanying on the bouzouki so another A myx tune. I'll know what to look out for in future as we expand our Scottish set. We are going to start playing for a Leeds Scottish Country dance group which apparently has over 100 members - who knew Scottish dancing was so popular in England!
  6. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Glad to be of help. James. Interesting to see that you are getting involved with a SCD group. there are two kinds of Scottish dancing - the very strict tempo and strictly choreographed dances of the Royal Scottish Country Dance Society, and the freer ceilidh dancing which allows more "liberties" to be taken in your dancing. Personally I like playing for the latter type of dancing. Let me know how it goes.
  7. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    Here's a pipe march that I learned from the John and Phil Cunningham recording, "Against the Storm"- Cameron McFaddyen's. I was inspired partly by their use of electric guitar to supplement the rhythm playing, as well as the fact that they're both killer players.

This is played on a a Jon Mann OEM electric octave mandolin, and a Collings MT mandolin.
  8. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    CD - really great, and a fantastic tune. I need to check out the Phil and John version. I'm a big fan of Phil Cunningham - saw him in concert last week as part of the transatlantic sessions gig and hope to see him again in a couple of months time with Aly Bain.
  9. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    That's a cracking tune and a fine bit of playing, CD! I really like the instrumentation you use here and the electric sound certainly works for me - that octave has a great sound yet you blend it well with the mandolin. Have added the tune to my "Need-to-learn" list.
  10. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Great rendition CD - electric mando instruments are good surrogate pipes becaus of their sustain.
  11. Eddie Sheehy
    Here's a few pipe tunes on mandolin:

12. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    An older one of mine. I remember how confused I was about the 4 parts being so similar that often as not I forgot where I was.

13. Kyle Baker
    Kyle Baker
    Here are a couple older videos of mine, but I'm happy to contribute
    Bonny MagRaith / McCuinns dawn.

The bloody fields of Flanders.

cheers!
  14. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Just noticed this thread has been refreshed. Fine contributions from all since my last visit.

Eddie, loved your opening with the kid-on pipes on the 1st video - first time I've seen pipes with 4 drones The selection is of very well-known pipe tunes and you deliver them really well.

Bertram, Loved your Glenurquhart and had a listen again to my version from way back in 2009 - I'd play it more slowly now - I think your tempo is just right for the march.

Kyle, your first 2 tunes were new to me and I enjoyed both and your playing of them. Really liked your rendition of The Bloody Fields.

Here is my 2009 Leaving Glenurquhart - definitely a wee bit fast!